Firefox, W10, 1Password X log to 1password.com time out

On 1.10 I had some issue that 1PX was not getting updates (added a url to one login) from 1p.com anymore (both 1P 7.2.581 on same Windows machine, and iOS got the updated login fine).

So I updated to 1.12
1/ if the existing account is removed first from 1PX, when I click on 1PX icon it opens a new tab to login to 1p.com, then I get the login window with the 3 empty fields, I enter login, secret key, login -> succeeds to login
2/ otherwise/after, when I click on 1PX icon it opens a new tab to login to 1p.com, then I get the login window with the 1 empty field, I enter th e login -> I get the connecting wheel -> Time Out

I am not in Private Mode;
History is saved

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• karlnospam
    karlnospam
    Community Member

Coincidental or not?
    After changing cookie policies from ""From visited" to "Always" it worked

Is is required?

• Thank you for reporting this issue, @karlnospam.

I'm not sure what could be causing this issue. The Accept cookies setting shouldn't affect 1Password at all as we don't use cookies for storing state or session information. I would say that this is a coincidence but I suppose that this setting may be connected to something else underneath the hood within Firefox.

I changed my Accept cookie setting to From visited and tried adding and removing accounts like you described and everything looked fine during my testing. I am on macOS, however, so there's a chance there's a difference there.

In any event, could you check your console logs and see if there are any errors listed there? Firefox has several logs but the ones most likely to have something useful is the Browser console. Here's how to collect those:

https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/#firefox

Please dig those up and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

++dave;

• karlnospam
    karlnospam
    Community Member

Thanks Dave, I will do that.

(I am now wondering if it is our office ZScaler installation that leaves/requires little crumbs of cookies...

Charles

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

It is a puzzler that's for sure. If you discover anything or if you continue to experience issues do let us know.

• karlnospam
    karlnospam
    Community Member

Hi

unfortunately the console has the same messages one way or the other (and after a few test I cannot even get to it to open anymore (!), even after a reboot (!!), gosh do I love my corporate Windows PC...)

Firefox (new revison, now 63.0) is behaving differenetly, but I think the new workaround I found may help you in the diagnostics:

With Firefox 63.0 (today?) registering my account with 1PasswordX does not work at all through the login window created by 1PasswordX extension _, _whatever the cookie policy.

However with a very liberal 3rd party acceptance cookie/tracker policy (i.e. "accept all"), I can register 1PasswordX by first logging directly into my 1Password family site my-family.1password.com (I forgot to mention I have a family account, sorry).
    Then I get a pop-up from the extension "you can add this account to 1PasswordX":

With any a less liberal 3rd party cookie policy (even the new in Firefox 63.0 "accept all 3rd party cookies except known trackers" the popup does not appear.

Could Firefox be unhappy because of the difference between www.1password.com and my-family.1password.com?

• karlnospam
    karlnospam
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I cannot even reproduce this now, and I am locked out of 1passwordX
    I am going to roll myself into a ball and cry.

(I am using 1Password for Windows meanwhile)

• karlnospam
    karlnospam
    Community Member

Firefox + ZScaler + Ping Identity banding together : "Trick or treets ?!"

Today I managed to link 1PX to my account, with restrictive-ish policy.... welcome to a new world of technology making everything easier :'(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@karlnospam: Hmm. I was looking at this after reading your earlier posts, and I have to say I find it baffling (which is why I didn't reply before). Does having "Third-Party Cookies" checked allow them, or block them? I'm guessing the latter, based on the fact that it's probably what most people want, and the "Choose what to block" way at the top seems to support that...but I do find the presentation confusing.

Anyway, like Dave mentioned earlier, Firefox must be doing other stuff behind the scenes in conjunction with "cookie" setting, as 1Password X doesn't use cookies. But if I'm understanding correctly, I do believe you've found a nice set of options there for privacy, which apparently doesn't interfere with 1Password X. Thank you for sharing your experience here! :)

• karlnospam
    karlnospam
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

I think the issue is due to my company proxy infrastructure setup.

Probably no point investigating this further unless someone else faces the same issue (unlikely)

Charles

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Interesting. Perhaps you're right. Nevertheless, thanks for taking the time to share this! I'm glad you found a workable solution. :)

This discussion has been closed.