Touch ID not working on MacBookPro running Mojave

kinseywilson
kinseywilson
Community Member

Since loading Mojave I have not been able to get Touch ID to display.

I am running 1Password 7 Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
Running Mojave version 10.14 on a 2017 MacBook Pro.

Touch ID is activated in System Preferences and in 1Password. (See screen grabs below).
In 1P Preferences>Security, I unchecked "Allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password" (and was prompted to enter my Master Password). I then rechecked it to reactivate (again entering my Master password). I then quit 1P, and relaunched it.

Both the client app and the Chrome browser plugin prompt me to enter my Master Password.
The client app does not display the clickable thumbprint that normally appears when Touch ID is activated.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/zr/m4p79mi0q0ws.png
https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/sz/hn8z7byaoqn9.png
https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/7w/gvj3qbga1ayc.png
https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/27/ca1ex4flj9hd.png

Any guidance would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kinseywilson! Did you recently migrate your Mac from another Mac, using either Time Machine or perhaps Migration Assistant?

• kinseywilson
    kinseywilson
    Community Member

No. Purchased the machine in March. No migration. 1Password worked seamlessly until I loaded Mojave.

• KatjaS
    KatjaS
    Community Member

Me Too! Touch ID not working on MacBookPro running Mojave.
    Same Configuration:
    1Password 7 Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
    Mojave version 10.14 on a 2017 MacBook Pro (2017).
    Purchased the machine in March. No migration!
    I have absolut the same problem, Touch ID was working with 1Password the first time installed and after a reboot of my MacBook no more?

• dogboy
    dogboy
    Community Member

I have the same problem only I did run migration assistant. Specifically:

1. full TM backup under High Sierra
    2. wiped disk
    3. factory install of Mojave as part of Apple Service
    4. restored TM backup onto Mojave on first boot via migration assistant

1Password 7 Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
    macOS 10.14 on MacBookPro14,2

• KatjaS
    KatjaS
    Community Member

**** Make a full disk backup before attempting this! ****

Followings steps worked for me:
    First moved the Keychain, rebooted, then set up Touch ID, didn't work,
    then moved the old Keychain back.
    Rebooted, and then disabled, and enabled the Touch ID Option in 1Password, and now it works!

Step-by-step:
    Open the Terminal app from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    Please copy and paste the following command, and then press the return key:
    sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Library/Keychains.old

You will be prompted to enter your macOS password. Nothing will appear as you type it.
    Press return once you have entered it, and then quit Terminal (Cmd+Q).
    Once complete restart your Mac.

I followed the steps above, did the
    sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Library/Keychains.old
    rebooted... still no Touch ID.

Then, I ran
    sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains.old ~/Library/Keychains in the Terminal app
    rebooted... and now Touch ID is working.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
    Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    OS Version: OS X 10.14

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@kinseywilson - please try toggling Touch ID off and back on within System Preferences, then within 1Password 7 for Mac. Then Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Restart it, and turn Touch ID back on. Let me know if that works for you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dogboy - yep, that'll likely have been problematic. Unfortunately, on Mojave, there is no option to change the login keychain password. The only option is to get rid of the keychain so the OS recreates it. Make sure you make a full device backup before attempting the following

• sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop
    • Restart your Mac. Again, THIS WILL DELETE ALL OF YOUR KEYCHAIN DATA!

macOS should recreate it after restarting, so that it includes the Secure Enclave data that Touch ID support depends on. It’s worthwhile to retain the Keychains folder that was moved to the Desktop in case it has any data that needs to be recovered.

• kinseywilson
    kinseywilson
    Community Member

Unfortunately, no joy, Lars. In system prefs, I unchecked the three touch-ID options and deleted the two finger prints. Then restored touch ID (with new fingerprints). Then turned off Touch ID in 1PW and quit as instructed. Reopened and restored Touch ID within 1PW. Still doesn't recognize Touch ID.

I'll try to keychain replacement that @KatjaS and @Lars suggested when I have time to do a backup. And post results here.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kinseywilson - sounds good; let us know how it goes. :) :+1:

• kinseywilson
    kinseywilson
    Community Member

Keychain replacement did the trick. Thanks for your help @KatjaS and @Lars

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kinseywilson - you're quite welcome. Glad it worked out for you. :)

• dogboy
    dogboy
    Community Member

Disabling TouchID and full quitting 1PW and then recreating the Keychain per @Lars instructions worked for me. Trying to put back the old Keychain did not work after several careful attempts.

As ~/Library/Keychains is owned by the logged in user, the sudo is not necessary.

Thank you very much @KatjaS and @Lars

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dogboy - glad to hear you were able to get things straightened out! :)

• dmbulfer
    dmbulfer
    Community Member

I have followed the instructions about moving and recreating the system keychain, but it does not work for me. Touch ID not working on MacBookPro running Mojave. I am 10.14 and 7.2.1. Touch ID works for all other apps, but not 1Password!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dmbulfer! This is probably a silly question, but is Touch ID enabled in 1Password Preferences > Security?

• dmbulfer
    dmbulfer
    Community Member

Yes, as I wrote, I went through the process of turning it off, rebooting, turning it on (w/o success), turning it off again, moving the keychain, rebooting, turning it on, etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that. In that case, the best thing to do would be to reinstall macOS, or, failing that, get in touch with Apple. We just don't have any control over the hardware or software that Touch ID depends on.

• dmbulfer
    dmbulfer
    Community Member

I'm sorry, that does not make sense! TouchID works for EVERY other application. 1Password is the ONLY app for which it does not work!

• dmbulfer
    dmbulfer
    Community Member

I once again toggled Touch ID off within System Preferences, quit 1Password 7 Completely by holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu, then did "mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop", restarted my Mac, toggled Touch ID on within System Preferences and then, started 1Password. Now, TouchID works again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I once again toggled Touch ID off within System Preferences, quit 1Password 7 Completely by holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu, then did "mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop", restarted my Mac, toggled Touch ID on within System Preferences and then, started 1Password. Now, TouchID works again.

@dmbulfer: Glad to hear that you were able to sort out your Keychain issue as others described above! :)

I'm sorry, that does not make sense! TouchID works for EVERY other application. 1Password is the ONLY app for which it does not work!

It actually makes perfect sense. Please see this: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/474077/#Comment_474077

• Kjlasky
    Kjlasky
    Community Member

Touch ID no longer works on MacBook Air since update to Mojave 10.14.2. I have tried unchecking preference, re putting in finger prints, powering on and off. Nothing works. Please tell me how to fix.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Mac Mojave 10.14.2
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Touch ID quit working on MacBook, OK on iPad, face recognition OK on iPhone

• friedar
    friedar
    Community Member

For me, the Touch ID option in 1Password Preferences is altogether disabled-- that is, the checkbox to enable it is unchecked and grayed out (and I did NOT uncheck it). Now I cannot enable it.

I have been using touch ID the entire time I have had this machine (MacBook Pro, about 1 year old). I upgraded to Mojave quite a while ago, and am currently at version 10.14.2. I can use touch ID to log on to the machine.

This morning I went to open 1PW and got the Touch ID interface, but my fingerprint failed three times, so I got the manual login screen, and used it. This has happened before, after machine restarts, as expected-- so I didn't worry too much. But now every time I use 1PW, there is no Touch ID offered to me. I then found in 1PW preferences that the Touch ID option was disabled entirely.

Is it possible to re-enable the option in 1PW preferences?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kjlasky - have you changed anything recently with respect to your user account on your MacBook Air? Reinstalled macOS, imported user accounts from other Macs via Migration Assistant or Time Machine, anything else of that nature? Touch ID doesn't typically just stop working; something has to go wrong or be changed. You mentioned updating to Mojave 10.14.2. Was that an incremental update from .1, or were you coming from a much earlier OS like macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”) or earlier?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@friedar - I'm sorry for the trouble. That's quite odd indeed to have Touch ID working properly for the overall device itself, but not only be non-functional but actually grayed out in 1Password Preferences. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#KTE-92332-525]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

ref: KTE-92332-525

• Kjlasky
    Kjlasky
    Community Member

It was an update from .1 to .2 on my new 2018 MacBook Air. I had to sign in and out of iCloud due to email issues from the update that Apple walked me through. Maybe some keychain stuff? I think it has to be something with the keychain? Can you give me the steps how to fix this or troubleshoot with me please?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kjlasky - do you have a 1password.com account, or is your 1Password data standalone? Or both?

• Kjlasky
    Kjlasky
    Community Member

I have a 1password family account. Can you please email me to troubleshoot?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kjlasky - it looks like you've emailed us, and my colleague Duncan replied to you. If you didn't receive it, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk.

• Kjlasky
    Kjlasky
    Community Member

Have not received any emails from Duncan. I checked my junk and trash. Been commenting with you since 8am and still no hint or you or anyone helping me. Can you or someone please email me directly again?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kjlasky - I have just replied to your most-recent email - please check to see if you received it.

This discussion has been closed.