To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Two users, one account vs Families

sungoku7777
sungoku7777
Community Member

Hi, my partner and I are interested in signing up for a 1Password account. We were wondering if we could sign up for an individual account and have two separate vaults for his and hers since we share everything anyways. We would be using this across our Macbooks and iPhones. We understand the master password and secret key would be the same but weren't sure if this would work or if we would be required to get a Families account. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sungoku7777: Thanks for getting in touch. I love stuff like this! :)

What you're proposing is just fine, and I've heard from others who do the same. It's really just a matter of what works best for you folks. A lot of people -- myself included -- used Dropbox to share 1Password data with loved ones for years before 1Password.com even existed, and we're used to sharing all data and the same Master Password as a result. So when moving to 1Password.com, you could go one of two ways: keep sharing everything, or take the opportunity to finally have your own Master Password and Private vault.

I'd say maybe start by sharing a single individual account, and then switch to 1Password Families if you find you've outgrown sharing a a single account -- with one exception: if you've got kids or other family members as well, especially if you want to be able to share with each of them on a case-by-case basis (vaults to share with certain people), then I'd say 1Password Families is a no-brainer.

Anyway, hopefully that gives you some ideas to work with, but be sure to let me know if you have any questions at all. :)

• sungoku7777
    sungoku7777
    Community Member

Awesome, thanks! A few follow-up questions I couldn't find online if you don't mind:
    1) is 1Password accessible without an internet connection?
    2) can you do both local and cloud syncing or do you have to pick one over the other? Do you still offer local syncing?
    3) if my partner and I use the same account with different vaults will it remember which vault was selected on which device (e.g. my vault on my iPhone and her vault on her MacBook, etc.)
    4) is there a way to automatically sync across devices if you are not using the cloud service? WiFi sync seems like you have to open both devices at the same time vs no intervention with cloud syncing

Again thanks for all your help!! :)

• Hi @sungoku7777

1) is 1Password accessible without an internet connection?

Yes.

2) can you do both local and cloud syncing or do you have to pick one over the other? Do you still offer local syncing?

Each vault can only sync via one service. It is possible to have different vaults with different sync options but this is not recommended for a number of reasons. Vaults that are created as part of a 1Password membership are technically different than standalone vaults and cannot sync via any service other than 1Password membeship.

3) if my partner and I use the same account with different vaults will it remember which vault was selected on which device (e.g. my vault on my iPhone and her vault on her MacBook, etc.)

If your intention is to have different vaults you’d need 1Password Families. With an individual 1Password membership you’d share everything (including the same Master Password). It isn’t possible to have different vaults on different devices with an individual membership. With 1Password Families you’d each have your own Private vault, your own Master Password, and then could each have access to some or all of the non-Private vaults within the 1Password Families membership.

4) is there a way to automatically sync across devices if you are not using the cloud service? WiFi sync seems like you have to open both devices at the same time vs no intervention with cloud syncing

1Password membership is the only service we describe as “automatic” anymore. All of the other options require some sort of set up / configuration, and as you noted syncing via the WLAN server requires having the apps open on each device and the devices all being connected to the same network.

Ben

• Mike_LeBlanc
    Mike_LeBlanc
    Community Member

Above, Ben says that 1Password is accessible without internet. Does this imply that each client machine has a copy of the membership vault - assuming that’s the vault being used?

Reason I ask, I started using 1Password years ago, first on a Mac, with a vault on Dropbox. Just a few days ago I created a membership, working from my iPad, and may have shot my foot. Everything seems to work, but I have more vaults now than I expected: membership vs primary. I would like to keep this as simple as possible, say: each client uses the membership vault. Is it safe to delete others?

• The Primary vault should be deleted once all data you want to keep is accessible via https://my.1password.com/
    Each device that is signed into your membership will keep a local cache of each membership vault. This cached data will be accessible even without an internet connection (you can verify this by turning on Airplane Mode and then unlocking 1Password).

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.