1Password X for Brave?

Options

Will we have 1Password X for Brave anytime soon?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arunsathiya: It's not something we have immediate plans for as it's impossible to install 3rd party extensions there at all. But it may be possible for it to be added in the future. Thanks for letting us know it's something you'd be interested in! :)

• Simon
    Simon
    Community Member
    Options

Just a heads-up that now that Brave is integrating Chromium more fully, the 1password X extension can be installed. Quite unstable though, but when it doesn't crash, it works fine. [I imagine the AgileBits folk are seeing a bump in the number of crashes from the extension all of a sudden... >_< ]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Simon: That's an interesting development. I wasn't aware of that. Is that prerelease (I'm guessing, by your comments, it is)?

• Simon
    Simon
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yes, it’s the latest dev build (https://brave.com/download-dev/). In 3 weeks it should reach the beta release channel....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah dev. Got it. No wonder I was so clueless. Looking forward to the beta! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Simon: Gave it a quick test drive in the developer build, and seems to be working so far. Super exciting. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• Simon
    Simon
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to hear you like it! ;) Could you advise if I should use 1password X beta or the stable release of 1password X? I am assuming the beta will feed more informative crash reports back to you guys... but I am also wondering if Brave's anti-fingerprinting & other privacy approaches might obscure the origin of the crash reports...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Simon: I don't think we know enough yet to advise anything, but I installed the stable version and it seemed fine. The beta may be better though since you're clearly okay with running prerelease stuff, and that's where you'll see any new stuff from us first too.

Do you happen to have a link to any info on this? I am curious but couldn't manage to find any official info on if this is the direction Brave is going (user-installed extensions) going forward. :)

• Simon
    Simon
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty 'K, beta version it is for now... Regarding Brave's policy towards extensions and other developments for Brave, here is what their CTO had to say (specifically, his first bullet point addresses your question -- in short, they're planning to vet chrome extensions but all should be installable in principle): https://www.reddit.com/r/BATProject/comments/9dkbpi/the_rewrite_of_brave_named_brave_core_is/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Simon: Fascinating. Thank you so much! :chuffed:

• patrickreiner
    patrickreiner
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this, I use 1Password X for chrome and it's wonderful. However, I'd much prefer to use Brave with 1Password X.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: Thanks, Patrick!

• roneu
    roneu
    Community Member
    Options

Would be good, to have a brave extension, I really like the approach und would consider so switch!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @roneu,

Given their support for the companion extension I'm sure we'll see 1Password X there at some point :smile:

• roneu
    roneu
    Community Member
    Options

well actualley, there is an extension used by brave automatically, 4.7.2.90, it works, but where die the software "get" it from? I have Firefox installed on my Mac 10.10. as well. Can I trust this extension?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@roneu: Brave does not (currently) allow installing 3rd party extensions. Instead, they bundle 1Password and a few others with their prose themselves. They get it directly from us, and we've worked with them to make it work, so it can definitely be trusted. Similarly, can get the 1Password desktop extension for Firefox directly from us:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• roneu
    roneu
    Community Member
    Options

Great, for sure I don't regret having spent my money on 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot to hear that you're enjoying 1Password so much. We're here if you need us! :chuffed:

• paulwilliamhill
    paulwilliamhill
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to see better integration with Brave. It's a bummer to have to choose privacy or security.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018
    Options

I would also like to see better integration with Brave.

@paulwilliamhill: I'm not sure I follow. Brave ships with support for 1Password built in. While new versions of Brave apparently do not ship with 1Password built in, it allows installation of standard Chrome extensions.

It's a bummer to have to choose privacy or security.

I don't see why you'd think that. I can't speak to the specifics of Brave, but 1Password is built on privacy and security. If you have questions about 1Password, please let us know. And while Brave is a great browser with a lot of privacy-focused features, it's not alone these days either. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

However, I just realized that, although I've been dutifully -- and anxiously -- checking for updates to get the new stuff in Brave...apparently the updater isn't working, and I've been missing out for a few weeks now. In case it helps anyone else who ran into the same issue, you can grab the latest installer from their site:

https://brave.com/download/

And then install the 1Password desktop extension as well:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

1Password X can be installed, but currently does not work in Brave. We're looking into what it might be doing differently than Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera, etc.

ref: x/b5x#664

This discussion has been closed.