I'm getting notifications in slack about iOS logins when I'm not using the app on my iPhone

Options

Hi 1password peoples,

I use the slack integration for your teams offering. I use 1password across all my devices. Over the last few days, I've been getting slack notifications saying that I've just logged in on my iPhone, even though I'm not using the phone at the time (and haven't for at least a couple of hours). I'm a bit concerned by this, as I'd hate for any spyware etc to be somehow controlling the app on my phone and snarfing passwords. Is it normal for the 1password app to be sending slack login notifications even when I'm not using it?

Cheers,
Nick

1Password Version: ios v7.2.1
Extension Version: na
OS Version: 12.0.1
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@georgio: Thanks for getting in touch! Have you looked in your device sign in history in your profile?

https://start.1password.com/profile

That will show you not only authorized devices, but their last sign in times chronologically as well. Perhaps there's a bug with the Slack integration. Let me know what you find.

• georgio
    georgio
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty, unfortunately, that page only appears to show me my last login time. I've used the app on my iPhone since it started behaving unusually. I'm hoping it's a bug in the slack integration, but there doesn't appear to be any easy way for me to tell. When the app is running in the background on the iphone (if that's even a thing), could it trigger the slack hook without me taking any action?

Cheers,
    Nick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@georgio: I'm not even sure what to say to that. The Profile page shows, as far as I can tell, all authorized devices on the account going back to the beginning of time. My first is in 2015, when 1Password.com was still in beta:

Note that each listing includes device/browser name, IP address, general location, and operating system, along with the date/time of last access. If you sign into your account on a new device, you'll see it show up at the top of that list, and also get an email notification confirming that as well. Please give that a try.

• georgio
    georgio
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies, it shows the last login for each of my devices. I've included a screenshot below. The thing is, it only shows the last login for each device, not a full history of logins. It's my iphone that I keep getting notifications in slack about, so other than the last login event, I can't get any more information than that. I'm pretty confidant that if I'm getting notifications in slack, and entry will also show up in this list. Next time I get a spurious login message, I'll check that it does.

• georgio
    georgio
    Community Member
    Options

One tiny thing in addition, I'm running macOS Mojave, yet it is being shown as High Sierra under the top entry in that list.

• I've filed an issue about the Mojave/High Sierra thing so that we can get that sorted out.

As for your iPhone showing up in Slack notifications... this is very likely due to the new background sync that happens in 1Password for iOS. If the phone is unlocked, iOS now periodically asks 1Password to sync its data. This would trigger a sign-in in the background, which would result in the slack notification.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.