What is "Unlock on secure desktop?"

I've seen this feature for years, but I've never used it. When I search online to learn about it, all I see are people who say they miss it. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones who still have it, because I see it when I unlock 1PW. But what the heck is it? What are the pros and cons of using it? I am running 1PW on a Windows 10 computer.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unlock on secure desktop

Comments

• Hi @Tom Pyzdek,

Thanks for writing in, I've moved this thread to our 1Password 4 for Windows forum since this feature doesn't exist yet in 1Password 7 for Windows and why you saw the posts about missing it.

Secure Unlock means that 1Password will ask Windows to create an isolated desktop where only 1Password process can run on it. It makes it a bit "more secure" to prevent malware processes from listening into 1Password process like keyloggers and stuff like that. Unfortunately, it's not a sure thing because the same Windows function that creates the isolated desktop can be compromised as well but a bit harder to do as you need admin rights and to compromise other security features in Windows that protect the system files.

• josealmeida2009
    josealmeida2009
    Community Member

Hi,
    Great feature
    When are you going to implement the ability to unlock the 1password when it is the first time it is open with windows hello?
    I mean the 1st time. When we launch the program?
    At the moment it is only available after the 1st unlock.
    I now using this in a windows. When I used a mac. I could go for days without having to reenter the unlock password.
    Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password 4 was discontinued years ago. It cannot work with Windows Hello.

• Hi there,

@josealmeida2009, if you are referring to 1Password 7 with Windows Hello support, we don't have an ETA yet. This requires more extensive research and reworking of our locking system than we can spare at the moment but we do want to support it in the future.

This discussion has been closed.