To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Migrating to an account

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Mac App Store Ver 7 not available. Need new license??.

Comments

• Paul_Jamjar
    Paul_Jamjar
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. I have been using my 1Password account without problem up until today when I had to install Version 7 after upgrading my Mac to Mojave. I don't understand the pros and/or cons of purchasing a licence or a membership. Please can you explain?

• Paul_Jamjar
    Paul_Jamjar
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so I have taken out a membership and it seemed to open a new vault and ask for a new Master password. I used the same p/w as before bu now I have no idea whether my exiting vault (kept in Dropbox) is still in use or a new one. If a new one, where is it stored please and how do I replace the one in Dropbox? And how do I check everything has been transferred?

• Paul_Jamjar
    Paul_Jamjar
    Community Member
    Options

Also, what do I need to do to ensure the 1Password App on my iPhone syncs with my other device (MacBook Pro)?

• Paul_Jamjar
    Paul_Jamjar
    Community Member
    Options

Now I have had an email asking me to be sure to print out my emergency kit because it contains my 'secret key' whatever that is. But when I click on the link I have to enter my secret key in order to download the kit. Obviously I do not know what my secret key is. Sorry but this upgrade seems very badly thought out! Hope you can help

• Paul_Jamjar
    Paul_Jamjar
    Community Member
    Options

I m now pulling out my hair. Every link you have put in the support section to 'access my secret key' requires me to enter my secret key, which obviously I do not know otherwise I wouldn't be trying to access it. Has something gone badly wrong here?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Paul_Jamjar: I'm splitting you off into a separate discussion so we can focus on your issues without hijacking someone else's.

I have the same issue. I have been using my 1Password account without problem up until today when I had to install Version 7 after upgrading my Mac to Mojave. I don't understand the pros and/or cons of purchasing a licence or a membership. Please can you explain?

A license is for a specific version of 1Password -- for example, 1Password for Mac version 7. A 1Password.com membership includes everything: all the apps, updates, and built-in sync -- without the need to purchase and manage separate licenses, or sync configurations.

OK, so I have taken out a membership and it seemed to open a new vault and ask for a new Master password. I used the same p/w as before bu now I have no idea whether my exiting vault (kept in Dropbox) is still in use or a new one. If a new one, where is it stored please and how do I replace the one in Dropbox? And how do I check everything has been transferred?

If you view your 1Password.com account in the app or website, you can see what's stored there, likely in a vault called Personal/Private. Anything in the Primary vault in the app, however, is not part of your account, as that's the original local vault stored on your device (which it sounds like you sync'd with Dropbox).

Also, what do I need to do to ensure the 1Password App on my iPhone syncs with my other device (MacBook Pro)?

You just sign into your 1Password.com account on each device to access all of the data in your account across all of them. No sync configuration is involved.

Now I have had an email asking me to be sure to print out my emergency kit because it contains my 'secret key' whatever that is. But when I click on the link I have to enter my secret key in order to download the kit. Obviously I do not know what my secret key is. Sorry but this upgrade seems very badly thought out! Hope you can help

You can find your Secret Key and Setup Code in the 1Password app on any device where you’re already signed in to your account., as described here:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

I m now pulling out my hair. Every link you have put in the support section to 'access my secret key' requires me to enter my secret key, which obviously I do not know otherwise I wouldn't be trying to access it. Has something gone badly wrong here?

Your Secret Key will be accessible in any browser/app you've authorized with your account. And in order to sign up for the account in the first place, you'd necessarily have done that somewhere, or you would not have an account. Where did you sign up?

P.S: I'd recommend keeping your hair. It gets cold in the winter in most places. And winter is coming! :scream:

• Paul_Jamjar
    Paul_Jamjar
    Community Member
    Options

Ha ha, vey good, I will keep my hair! Thank you for all of this. You have helped me resolve a number of things already, and I have now managed to sign in on both devices and find my secret key!! So my last remaining question is about the vaults. I still have my original vault, called 'Primary' on Dropbox. But I think everything has been copied across to the new vault, called 'Personal'. Can (and should) I now delete the original 'Primary' vault? When I look at the 'Sync' setting on my iPhone it still appears to be syncing with 'Primary'. But if I understand you correctly, the iPhone will sync automatically with 'Personal' even if I delete 'Primary'. Is that correct? I'm still not sure where 'Personal' is stored - presumably in its own 1Password club somewhere. If you can clear that one up for me, I will be a happy (and still hairy) bunny!

• Ben
    Options

You should delete the Primary vault, yes. I would recommend first verifying that all of your data is available at https://my.1Password.com/ (which is where the Personal vault syncs automatically).

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.