I need help urgently.

I currently have 1Password 3.8.22, using 2008 Mac Desktop, OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. My computer is too old to upgrade to Mojave. 1Password sent email that unless I upgraded to 7 or 8 (can't recall), I'll be unable to enter new passwords, which has happened. I can't even enter the program at all. It contains a key # which of course I can't access. I don't believe I can upgrade 1password to 7 and/or 8 because it requires Mojave. Went to Dropbox, nothing there I can use to get in to my original account and data. Can't access it from my cell phone either. I can get around fine on the computer yet wouldn't consider myself computer saavy. I need someone to walk me thru this because I'm lost. Anyone willing?

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search: I'm need help urgently. I currently have 1Password 3.8.22, using 2008 Mac Desktop, OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. My computer is too old to upgrade to Mojave. 1Password sent email that unless I upgraded to 7 or 8 (can't recall), I'll be unable to enter new passwords, which has happened. I can't even enter the program at all. It contained a key # which of course I can't access. older mac desktop, 2008. I don't believe I can upgrade 1password to 7 and/or 8 because it requires I have Mojave. Went to Dropbox, nothing there I can use to get in to my original account and data. Can't access it from my cell phone either. I can get around fine on the computer yet wouldn't consider myself computer saavy. I need someone to walk me thru this because I'm lost. Anyone willing?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@robin4joy: It sounds like the email you're referring to is about another device you're using with a 1Password.com account, as that's not something that would be remotely involved with 1Password 3, which was made nearly a decade ago, before 1Password.com existed. You'd be able to run 1Password 6 on your old Yosemite Mac, but it will not receive further updates either. If you can give me some of the specifics about your devices and what you're trying to do, I'll see what I can suggest. Do you have a 1Password.com membership?

• robin4joy
    robin4joy
    Community Member

If having a 1Password.com membership means paying a membership fee monthly or annually, I don't. I've had 1password for approx 10 yrs. The 3 devices it has been synced to is my Samsung (android) cell phone, an iPad, and my 2008 Mac desktop. What am I trying to do? Pay for the upgrade, across my devices, so I can add/modify data again. But now the problem is bigger, I can't get to my data at all. The window doesn't open where I can enter my master password. I don't know what my current version of 1password is (ie. 3 or 4), only that I can see the version is 3.8.22. I do not believe the email I was referring to was about another device I was using it with because it didn't say so.
    #1 Can you get me access to my data whether I can upgrade with 1Password or not?

2 If I'm still able to use 1Password with my Yosemite Mac using 1Password 6, you say I won't be able to upgrades. What kinds of things will happen if I can't get the upgrades?

3 What is the worst-case scenario here?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If having a 1Password.com membership means paying a membership fee monthly or annually, I don't. I've had 1password for approx 10 yrs. The 3 devices it has been synced to is my Samsung (android) cell phone, an iPad, and my 2008 Mac desktop. What am I trying to do? Pay for the upgrade, across my devices, so I can add/modify data again.

@robin4joy: Excellent! Thanks for clarifying. :) I can definitely help offer some clarification with regard to 1Password. There is no one-time purchase that will cover all devices. A membership includes all of the apps and upgrades, but as you noted that is a subscription. Otherwise each version is a separate purchase.

However, if you've already purchased 1Password for Mac, Android, and iOS, there's probably only a single upgrade you'd potentially need to pay for: 1Password for Mac version 7. The recent updates for 1Password for Android and iOS were free, if you've purchased those fairly recently. And it isn't mandatory that you upgrade the Mac app either; you'll just be missing out on compatibility with the latest browser and OS releases going forward unless you do.

But now the problem is bigger, I can't get to my data at all. The window doesn't open where I can enter my master password. I don't know what my current version of 1password is (ie. 3 or 4), only that I can see the version is 3.8.22. I do not believe the email I was referring to was about another device I was using it with because it didn't say so.

1 Can you get me access to my data whether I can upgrade with 1Password or not?

I'm honestly not sure. I don't hear from many people still running 1Password for Mac version 3 in 2018. Those I have heard from though indicate that it works to some extent, so I'm a bit surprised that you're saying it doesn't at all. But I'll be happy to explore that with you. I have one theory as to the cause. I believe it may be a compatibility issue stemming from you updating 1Password -- and your data -- on your other devices. But I'd rather get more details before making too many assumptions.

2 If I'm still able to use 1Password with my Yosemite Mac using 1Password 6, you say I won't be able to upgrades. What kinds of things will happen if I can't get the upgrades?

1Password 6 is no longer being worked on, so it will not be updated to accommodate changes with browsers or the OS. It hasn't been long, so not a lot has changed yet. But one example is that Apple won't be allowing the old extensions -- like 1Password 6 and earlier use -- in Safari going forward. So you'd need to use a different browser.

3 What is the worst-case scenario here?

An update to macOS or web browser could break things. It's happened before, and it's likely just a matter of time before it happens again. Versions of 1Password earlier than 6.7 no longer work with Chrome or Firefox, for example.

Anyway, I was going to request that you send some diagnostic information via email, but since I see you've already emailed us separately I'll reply there shortly and we'll go from there.

ref: MEL-64517-383

This discussion has been closed.