Are passwords deleted by family members recoverable by administrator?

Options
toxxum
toxxum
Community Member

I can't get my head around how to set up the system: Is the administrator supposed to keep a copy of every family member's password in his folder as a backup?

Also, passwords that the admin copies/shares with members don't seem to be linked, i. e. if the members changes the password or any other data, the admin's copy does not get updated. If this is indeed the case and the admin is making a change to the password entry, then he will need to manually compare the member's data and his own data to figure out whether the member made a change since the admin shared the password?

Thanks for enlightening me!

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Are passwords deleted by family members recoverable by administrator?

@toxxum: Good question. The answer is: only if they are stored in a vault which the admin has access to. Since each family member's Personal/Private vault can only be accessed by them, anything stored there (whether deleted or not) can never be accessed by another family member, admin or otherwise. Does that help?

Also, passwords that the admin copies/shares with members don't seem to be linked, i. e. if the members changes the password or any other data, the admin's copy does not get updated. If this is indeed the case and the admin is making a change to the password entry, then he will need to manually compare the member's data and his own data to figure out whether the member made a change since the admin shared the password?

I'm not sure what the question is here, but suffice to say if you make copies in a bunch of places they're independent -- just like if you Xerox (if anyone still does that) some stuff and scribble on one of them. It would probably be better to store information that needs to be shared in a shared vault which can be accessed by those who need it, not in a bunch of different places.

• toxxum
    toxxum
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty!

Yes, it is understood (but I failed to mention it) that the possibility to recover deleted passwords refers only to vaults that the administrator has access to.

The question with regards to the independent copies was how to keep track of changes that were made to passwords that are shared with others in two or more vaults. If one member makes a change in 1 vault, the other vault's copy does not get updated. You answered the question, thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Great. On behalf of Brenty you’re most welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.