MacBook Pro crashed; need help signing up for 1Password account and transferring 1Password backup

Options
juanitosp
juanitosp
Community Member

My friend had a system crash on her MacBook Pro running a licensed version of 1 Password 6 (not sure or exact version) and is unable to access or recover the data on the SSD. There is a SuperDuper backup on an external hard drive. I assume/hope that the backup includes whatever 1password files need to get her up and running on a new MacBook Pro.

I have mounted the backup drive using my MacBook Pro but do not see any 1Password backups in the Library folder.

I would appreciate knowing how to do the following:

1. Sign up for a new 1Password membership on the new MacBook Pro;
  2. Find and move the 1Password data from the SuperDuper backup to the new account.

Also note, there is an older, non-synced version of 1Password running on an iPad; perhaps this is a fallback source for her password data.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:mac hard drive crash

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@juanitosp - if your friend was using SuperDuper to capture ALL of her hard drive, then this should be relatively easy. When used in standalone mode (local data), 1Password makes backups of its database about once a day. All of these backups will be available in one of the following two locations, depending on whether her copy of 1Password for Mac was purchased/installed directly from us, or from the Mac App Store:

• 1Password 6 from the Mac App Store - ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/
    • 1Password 6 from us (AgileBits) - ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Check both of those spots on the SuperDuper backup; it will be in one of them. Just grab the most-recent backup, and you should be able to copy it over to the new Mac's hard drive, and restore from there within 1Password for Mac. I'd avoid using the iPad's 1Password data unless there's NO other option, since unsynced data is likely to be old/out of date/inaccurate. Much better to try to recover the backup from off the SuperDuper drive, if you can.

Your friend can create a 1password.com account by heading over to the main 1Password sign-up page. Once she's created the account and saved or printed her Emergency Kit, and you've restored her previous standalone data from the backup, she can use her new account credentials to sign in within 1Password 6 for Mac, and then migrate her data into her new account. Finally, once everything's been transferred over safely, she can remove the older, no-longer-needed local vault by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." That should leave her with all of her data inside 1Password in her new 1password.com account, safe and secure. Hope this helps! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Options

Also make sure you are looking at the right Library folder as there are at least three of them, /Library, /System/Library, and the one you need which is /Users/hername/Library.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danco - not a bad point, though it's stated explicitly with the ~ prefix of both those filepaths.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Better be safe than sorry. Experienced users know what the ~ means, but others may not. And the OP did refer to "the" Library folder, which made me worry about which Library was being looked at.

• juanitosp
    juanitosp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the good suggestions. The problem I now have is seeing the hidden/invisible folders containing the backup files on the SuperDuper hard drive. I have tried un-hiding the hername/Library folder using the Go to Folder option in Finder. But this always takes me to the Library on my MacBook (which I am using to access the SuperDuper drive). Is there some other way to make hername/Library folder visible when it is on an external drive?

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@juanitosp - if you're not using the /Volumes prefix, using ~ or the actual name will not work for you. The file-path to the external drive using Go > Go to Folder would be something like /Volumes/name_of_external_disk/Users/hername/...etc.

• juanitosp
    juanitosp
    Community Member
    Options

I used to no avail: name_of_external_disk/Users/hername/~Library.

Sorry for being a bit dense, but the external disk shows up in Finder as a Location ( name_of_external_disk). It is identified as a volume, but there is no additional "Volume" prefix before "name_of_external_disk"

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@juanitosp - so...I'm not quite clear where we are now. Did it work this time, after you added the "Volume" prefix? Or are you still stuck? Can you clarify if my instructions worked for you?

A tip, for the future: you can go to any location on your Mac in Finder, right-click (or control-click) on any item, then press the Opt ( ) key, and in the pop-up menu you'll see the option to "Copy (item) as pathname." Clicking that will give the text string of the full file path, which you can then paste into anything you like.

• juanitosp
    juanitosp
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the confusion. I was still stuck. I found a work around and now can see the 1Password backups in the Library folder on her external drive. These flies are all .1p4_zip files, with the latest one dated 3 Sep 2018. Will this file be automatically unzipped when I copy it over to her new Mac's hard drive? Do I need to place the file in any particular folder when it is copied to the new Mac?

My friend is out town and it will be several days before we are able to setup the new Mac and create her new 1Password account. Thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@juanitosp - that's the correct file type. Just drag it onto a USB flash drive or even put it in Dropbox or something, if you're not able to directly drag/move it from where it is onto the new Mac. Once it's on the new Mac (anywhere, doesn't matter where), then open 1Password for Mac and choose to restore from a backup, and select the .1p4_zip file you copied/moved. That should get you where you want to be.

This discussion has been closed.