Facebook Like Button?

Did I just never notice the Facebook like button in the forum threads before? Possible, I never pay any attention to Facebook.

Kinda counter-intuitive for a privacy-based org, no? (in my case, the privacy badger extension replaces it, I don't have facebook, but they are still trying to build profiles on everyone and our content).

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/17/facebook_admits_to_tracking_non_users/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @AlwaysSortaCurious

I don’t see any such button? Could you please take a screenshot of what you’re refferring to? Do you see it on different devices?

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2018

Firefox w/Privacy Badger:

• Thanks @MrC that is exactly what I see from home or work...

I will say that I don't see the below in something like firefox without PrivacyBadger now, but.... is it the badger or a vanilla plugin....

But glad @MrC sees it as well....

When I allow it (click privacy badger) and view source I see this

• Fyi. Always browse from chrome and thats where the extension is.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Found it, and from the incognito mode, there does appear to be something facebooky in the code.

fb:app_id in the meta tags.

Might be privacy badger is reacting to that, but not sure where that whole form came from....

Odd.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious: Yeah I've never seen or heard of that. Even if I sign out or use a different browser/private window I'm not getting that. Something weird is going on if you're the only one seeing it. What browser version and extensions are you using? I hate to think you might have malware, but that's the only other logical explanation...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Going through all the code, the only references to Facebook I can find are in the content of the thread title and comments. But it may be that the forum software supports a Facebook like option that we've had disabled for years and forgotten about long ago. I'll ask around, if anyone still knows.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I’ve seen it for a while too, but have just ignored it. Today I blocked the element with AdBlock+

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrC: Hmm. That's really odd. I guess I can try to setup a VM later an install a bunch of stuff to try to get it to appear...but it would be helpful to know what I should be installing. Just AdBlock+ and Privacy Badger in Chrome? Really odd, if those are causing Facebook buttons to spontaneously appear for some people.

• I went into incognito mode and in view source there was FB app ID it's in my prior post. Meta tags. I didn't Do anything like view generated source or explore the JavaScript libraries thoroughly. But something is up. By the way I don't even have a Facebook account or any of its extensions. I never have.

• Hi folks,

We made some adjustments on our end. Are you still seeing this?

Ben

• lol... I took a closer look when I got in as well.

1) I don't see the button anymore
    2) But (and maybe it is or isn't pertinent) I AM seeing fb app id (for the developer) and the open graph tags still.
    3) there are some references to it in the JS, (like in vendors.min.js) but nothing I saw immediately in network calls.

So dunno. Really, when it comes to FB... I just think they are the guys spying on me through my cable box (jking). What I mean to say, I just assume they are much smarter or more clever or shrewd than I am.

On the other hand, if you look at the forum landing page and view source, you see that Marco%20Van%20de%20Water is using his FB profile for the forum I guess.

Don't know what the right answer is here and how you all feel about it. Just noting that they make me feel icky and on some level I know there is no avoiding them even if I read the news or goes to a pro or newbie or "safe" web site....

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Button gone.

• Thanks for the updates, and for bringing this to our attention. I’m still a little perplexed as to why I never saw it myself.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I suspect it was a recent addition to the forum software, or perhaps a recent change to those extensions resulted in Zombie Facebook button rising up. I guess Halloween was not long ago... :scream: Hopefully it will default to treat over trick in the future. Sorry for the scare, folks!

This discussion has been closed.