Connection Refused and Browser extension not working

Options

Hi,

I am having several problems. First, I use Firefox and Chrome and on both I can see the 1 password extension icon on the toolbar but it is greyed out so I can not use it (will not fill in login/password info). I have confirmed the 1Password extension is enabled in both Firefox and Chrome.

Second, I have started getting messages that a browser connection has been refused from an untrusted source, check logs for details. Of course when I look at the log it means nothing to me.

I have a Windows 10 pc - current on update
Firefox 63.0.1 64 bit
Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Thanks for the help.

Debi

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• chenps
    chenps
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Hello, @debi0662! The connection refused message means 1Password is unable to validate your browser's code signature. This is a security measure to make sure the browser you're filling in is what it claims to be and not a malicious process masquerading as your browser. When this is happening with two browser at once, I tend to suspect something interfering with the verification process. Do you have any security software on this PC, like an anti-virus? These are usually the prime suspects when something is getting in the way.

@chenps: If you're having the same sort of problem, could you provide some additional detail about the browser giving you problems and its version? This issue can have a number of causes, but we can narrow down our suspects with a bit more info about your environment. Thanks!

• debi0662
    debi0662
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate, I did have AVG installed but I uninstalled it last night after posting this message. I think since then I have not seen any more of the refused messages but I am still having problems with the browser extensions not working.

I have a Windows 10 pc - current on update
    Firefox 63.0.1 64 bit
    Chrome 70.0.3538.77
    Sync Type: Not Provided

Thanks for trying to help. I really appreciate it.

• @debi0662: Improvement! That's great. Let's see if we can't get the rest of the way there. :chuffed:

If you pop open task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and click the details tab with your browser open, do you see two copies of 1Password.exe running or just one? Given removing AVG resolved the verification issue, I'm wondering if perhaps it left some fallout in its wake by quarantining some processes and not putting them back when you uninstalled. Also, just because I have to ask, have you rebooted since uninstalling AVG? If not, give that a try as well and see if that kicks things into gear. Some Windows apps need a reboot to complete uninstalling and we humans aren't exactly awesome at reading the dialogue that tells us that (I'm as guilty as anyone) so that's another possibility.

• debi0662
    debi0662
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate, I only see one 1Password under the details tab of task manager. Yes, I have rebooted - several times as a matter of fact.

• chenps
    chenps
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate ,hi,my environment:

Firefox 63.0.1 64 bit
    Chrome 70.0.3538.77

no any anti-virus software installed,my browser extension just being grey color,I click it and No response

• debi0662
    debi0662
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi, I was wrong. I just had another browser connection refused message. But so far it's just the one, as compared to getting 3 or 4 an hour when it first started.

• debi0662
    debi0662
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have a question. Can I just remove 1Password and reinstall it? I have my secret key.

• @debi0662 I just came across an e-mail from while working on that side of things, so I'm going to go ahead and reply to you there. I wouldn't reinstall. That's unlikely to resolve anything like this. Hold tight for a few and I'll be in your inbox shortly.

ref: PGP-91738-893

@chenps: Nothing outdated there, so I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and make sure we take a look ASAP.

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much! :+1:

• debi0662
    debi0662
    Community Member
    Options

PGP-91738-893

• We got your email and it looks like Kate has replied; we'll continue the conversation there.

ref: PGP-91738-893

• LevR
    LevR
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike and Kate,
    Since I'm having exactly the same problem (although with slightly different environment), I'm interested to learn the solution as well.
    Win7 Pro
    Chrome 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password 7.3.657
    1Password Extension 4.7.90
    Symantec Endpoint Protection (I cant disable it)
    Extension is not disabled - it opens a pop-up menu but behaves like there is no installed desktop application

Thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LevR: What "popup menu" are you referring to? Without the extension installed (or functional) you shouldn't see anything from 1Password. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum.

But the issue above is with the system, not 1Password. 1Password will simply not work if it can't verify the browser and connect to it securely. "Security" software is a common culprit, but this can also happen do to malware (which functions similarly) or if you or other software has messed with the certificate store. That isn't something we can fix for you. :(

• LevR
    LevR
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike and Kate,
    Since I'm having exactly the same problem (although with slightly different environment), I'm interested to learn the solution as well.
    Win7 Pro
    Chrome 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password 7.3.657
    1Password Extension 4.7.90
    Symantec Endpoint Protection (I cant disable it)
    Extension is not disabled - it opens a pop-up menu but behaves like there is no installed desktop application

Thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying. Indeed, that's Chrome, and it's the only thing that can happen when 1Password is being prevented from connecting to the browser. If you're unable to resolve the issue, you won't be able to use 1Password in Chrome. Does it work in another browser? It's possible that whatever is interfering might not in a different one. You could try booting into Safe Mode with Networking, but ultimately you'll be in a better position to know what's causing this on your machine. The only thing I can do is make educated guesses based on the other cases we see.

This discussion has been closed.