Mac App Frozen 1Password 7

KlausPP
KlausPP
Community Member

Hi,
I'm using 1Password since 2 years (more or less).
In July 9th 2018 I upgraded from version 6 to 7 (single license) for Mac.
Yesterday I want to add a new password in 1password I realized, that it was FROZEN. Why?
I thought I paid for a full year or more?
Thanks in advance
Klaus

1Password Version: 7.2.1 Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @KlausPP! Apologies in advance for getting what might seem a bit pedantic on you, but we use certain terms to refer to specific things, so I want to make sure we're referring to the same things. You mention 1Password being "frozen." That's a term we use to refer to 1password.com accounts -- which is supported by the fact that you said you paid "for a year" also. But just above that, you refer to having a "single license." This is NOT the same thing as a 1password.com account. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

Can you please open Preferences > Vaults and tell me what you see there? How many vaults are there, and what are their names? Thanks.

• KlausPP
    KlausPP
    Community Member

Hello Lars,
    thanks for your answer.
    Yes you are right I'm not so familiar with 1Password terms ;-)
    And ... don't forget I'm using a translated german version.
    Okay. Preferences/Vaults must be Einstellungen/Tresore.
    There is one Vault (Tresor) named Primary (Primär).

• Vaults included (immer öffnen) : Primär
    • In allen Tresoren anzeigen (v) Primär
    • Vault for saving: Primär
      Summarized I can say, there is only one vault with the name "Primär"
      Thanks
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@KlausPP - thanks for the additional information. If you have only the Primary vault, that means you're using 1Password as a standalone app. In standalone mode, 1Password requires a license, not a subscription. It sounds as if you may have had a license in the past? If so, upgrading to version 7 means it's time to either purchase a new license for the new version, or subscribe to 1password.com. The choice is yours -- if you want my opinion, I'd recommend moving your data to a 1password.com membership, due to numerous advantages. However, the choice is yours.

You should see a badge in the top right of each item in the main 1Password 7 for Mac window that says "schreibgeschützt" -- probably. It's been a while since I saw the exact German translation, but you get the idea. In English, it says "Read Only." Click this, and you'll get instructions on how to purchase a standalone license or subscribe to a 1password.com account. It should look like this:

Let me know if you have any questions or problems. Cheers! :)

• KlausPP
    KlausPP
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Hello again,
    yes, I think I have a license not a subscription.
    I bought my first license in 2016 (Version 6) and a new license this year (July 2018) for 1password 7.
    And 1password explicitly told Mac customers, that it's possible to use a license on a Mac (with ICloud) not a subscription.
    By the way: I'm using iCloud and I'm using 1Password on my iPhone (7.2.1) and on an iPad (and they are not frozen until now).

I found this link:
    "Click this, and you'll get instructions on how to purchase a standalone license how to purchase a standalone license"

But I need NOT purchase to a 1password 7 version, because I paid for one license in July.
    I paid 44,52 EUR in July why should I pay again.
    Purchase No: [redacted by 1Password; this is a public forum]
    Company: FastSpring (Santa Barbera)

Please tell my, Why my account is frozen?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KlausPP

yes, I think I have a license not a subscription

Based on the information you provided, I agree -- you have a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac.

Please tell my, Why my account is frozen?

Because a 1password.com account is subscription-based. A standalone license is not the same thing as a 1password.com account/membership/subscription.

If you created a 1password.com account in the past, and that's what is now in Frozen status, and you would like to use 1Password 7 for Mac as a standalone app with your current license, then you will need to migrate your data to standalone vaults, then remove your 1password.com account from 1Password 7 for Mac. But just earlier, you told me the only vault you have in 1Password 7 for Mac is your Primary vault, which is a standalone vault. So I don't think you have a 1password.com membership -- at least, you do not have one signed into 1Password 7 for Mac, at any rate.

You may just need to add your license into 1Password 7 for Mac -- could that be possible? When you purchased your license from our FastSpring store in July, you would have received an email from us that contained a link to download your license file. Double-clicking that link would download the license file into your Downloads folder (or wherever you have downloads set to go). Double-clicking THAT file with 1Password 7 for Mac running will license 1Password. Hope that helps. :)

• KlausPP
    KlausPP
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    my license is a
    "1Password 7 / Version 7.2.1 (70201001) / Mac App Store"

I have a lot of email form 2016 but no email from 2018 (with download link).
    Only a PDF from july with the bill.

There some things I understand, but what I don't understand is:
    Why I could use 1password from July until now without any problem and now it's frozen since (I think) yesterday?

1Password must have changed something the last days or am I wrong?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KlausPP - it's not possible to have a license for 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store. In the past (version 6 of 1Password for Mac and earlier) we sold 1Password as a standalone product through both our own store and the Mac App Store. When we released version 7 in May of this year, we chose to allow standalone purchases ONLY via our own store, not the Mac App Store, for reasons our CEO Jeff Shiner explains in this post from our blog. That means, if you downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store, you do not have a license.

What you will need to do is Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then delete the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then get a copy of 1Password 7 for Mac from our downloads page and install it. Once the installer finishes, open the email you received from FastSpring and download the license file per the instructions in my previous email and apply it. I've re-sent your license email in case you misplaced the first one. If you don't receive it, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk. Let me know how you get on. :)

• KlausPP
    KlausPP
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    everything okay and working.
    Thanks for your support.
    I think (in July) I overinstalled a (from 1password downloaded) version 7 on a (from Mac Appstore downloaded) version 6.
    That must be the reason my license was a "1Password 7 / Version 7.2.1 (70201001) / Mac App Store".
    Now it's a unfrozen "1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 (70202006) AgileBits Store".
    Klaus

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KlausPP - I'm glad to hear it! :)

This discussion has been closed.