To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Need instructions to locate my secret key...

jglongisland
jglongisland
Community Member

I can't seem to find my secret key. You folks sent me an email indicating what it starts with, but I don't have it on my iphone App nor on my Mac. Is there a way to get it? You say I have an 1 password account with a key, but I don't remember every getting it. How do I find it on my computer?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.4.1
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jglongisland: To be clear, we don't have your Secret Key. Only the (non-unique, non-random) prefix is known; the proceeding 128-bit code is randomly generated on your device during account signup, so only you ever had it. You will be able to find it in an app/browser already authorized with your account though, as mentioned in the article thightower linked. Please give that a look.

• jglongisland
    jglongisland
    Community Member

My keychain is stored in a dropbox vault. If I do the reset can I restore my passwords through the vault on dropbox and then link it into 1password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jglongisland: If you've already setup the app with something else and want to start over, just follow these instructions:

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

Then choose license/standalone and select Dropbox if that's where you have your data. :)

• jglongisland
    jglongisland
    Community Member

So I reset my data and then loaded it back from the data in my dropbox folder, but I still can't figure out how to create a new secret key. I'm not sure why 1password thinks I have an account with them that has a secret key.

What exactly do I need to do to start over with a new account on 1password.com. My dropbox syncing has not be reliable since I upgraded to version 7. Can you just delete my account on 1 password so I can start over?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jglongisland: You don't need a Secret Key for Dropbox. In fact, you will only have that if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com as well. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault -- but it sounds like you just need to select the Dropbox option, like I mentioned earlier.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Either way, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jglongisland
    jglongisland
    Community Member

Brenty,I'd like to switch to the 1password online account, and I guess I did set it up at some time but have no recollection and can't find the key. See below from the email I get when I put in my email address:

Jonathan Goldman
    Sign-in address: https://my.1password.com
    Last access: Friday, June 30, 2017

Your Secret Key begins with A3-6AXLD9. Learn how to find your Secret Key.

So I don't know where that key is. What do I do now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jglongisland: In that case, it sounds like the best thing to do would be to start over with a new account and then migrate your data there from Dropbox. The best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report on the device where you have your data currently so we can see how you have things setup to give you next steps:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#MFC-78641-935]

If you’re reading this and you are not jglongisland, this Support ID is for jglongisland only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: MFC-78641-935

This discussion has been closed.