1Password doesn't recognize Github 2FA set up without SMS fallback

prasinous
prasinous
Community Member

Hi, I have set up Github 2FA using FIDO U2F tokens with a fallback to an OTP app and/or backup codes. I'm not using SMS as either a primary or a fallback.

1Password is usually good at figuring out whether 2FA has been set up. But in this case it gives a spurious warning that 2FA is not set up.

Spurious warning

Do you have any idea why? I have chosen not to use SMS as a fallback because it's not tied to device ID and vulnerable to the mobile number being ported.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:github

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prasinous: If you do not have TOTP setup in 1Password for the site, it has no way of knowing you're using two-factor authentication at all. You can, however, add the 2FA tag to it manually to have 1Password ignore it.

• prasinous
    prasinous
    Community Member

Thank you! That works great. It would be helpful if the error message explained that if you already have 2FAR setup you can use 1Password as your TOTP client instead of going to instructions on how to setup 2FA on github.com. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome! I don't disagree. I'm just not sure how 1Password could know to suggest that. Maybe in the future it will become omniscient. Not sure that would be a good thing though... :scream:

This discussion has been closed.