Usability: How to avoid typing the master password too often with 1Password X browser extensions?

Options

To be honest I fing the 1Password X a big step backwards when it comes to usability because now I have 4 password managers where I need to login: desktop (macos), chrome, firefox ans safari.... a huge PITA.

While the dekstop one is not a real issue as is restarted every week or other week, only when the OS is updated, the browser extensions do tell a very different story: browsers are restarted often likely daily (crash or other reasons, including accidental Cmd-Q).

When the browser restarts 1Password X needs you to re-enter your credentials, which is not so easy... in many cases you wonder why the password suggestion no longer works.

Before making the extension standalone, it was easy as it was communicating with the desktop one and you were not facing the same issue.

Another undesired side effect of this feature is that it takes many minutes to get new credentials syncronized across all copies clearly more than what it takes to create account on browser x and login with another browser in your (new) account.

Myself, like probably many others, were forced to switch to 1Password X because the older extension was no longer actively maintained and started to degrade (like failing to work on more and more websites). Still, getting the new one....does come with some

This issue is so annoying that I was ready to enable an option to save password on disk... but there no such option in the extension version. I know it would clearly by a security issue but in the end it should be up to the user to decide where to tradeoff usability for security. There is no single value that applies to everyone.

Any idea on how to sort this issue?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To be honest I fing the 1Password X a big step backwards when it comes to usability because now I have 4 password managers where I need to login: desktop (macos), chrome, firefox ans safari.... a huge PITA.

@sbarnea: Given that you're apparently using not only 1Password for Mac, but also many, many browsers, I have to ask: why aren't you using the desktop extension? It sounds like you don't really like 1Password X, and while we're grateful for the feedback and will continue to improve it, it just isn't designed for the way you're trying to use it.

Before making the extension standalone, it was easy as it was communicating with the desktop one and you were not facing the same issue.

I'm glad that we made it seem easy to you, as it certainly wasn't! If you'd be happier using the desktop extension, that would make all of us happy too. After all, we've put roughly a decade into making that what it is today. :)

Myself, like probably many others, were forced to switch to 1Password X because the older extension was no longer actively maintained and started to degrade (like failing to work on more and more websites). Still, getting the new one....does come with some

None of that is actually true. The 1Password desktop extension doesn't have any impact on filling; all of that's handled by the desktop app. And contrary to "degrading", the desktop extension has stayed the same, and we've already been rolling out the same new filling engine used in 1Password X in the other apps, so you should see the same behaviour either way. If you're not, that's a bug, and

This issue is so annoying that I was ready to enable an option to save password on disk... but there no such option in the extension version. I know it would clearly by a security issue but in the end it should be up to the user to decide where to tradeoff usability for security. There is no single value that applies to everyone.

Begging your pardon: I'm not sure what you mean by "save password on disk", but we're going to have to agree to disagree about the whole "up to the user to decide where to tradeoff usability for security" thing. That's our job, and we take it pretty seriously. If you have feature requests we're happy to listen. But people pay us for a security product, not a new way to get themselves in trouble, as they can get that for free. So that's where we draw the line. You're right that there is no one-size-fits-all solution, but there are plenty of other options out there for people who don't want security.

Anyway, if you're having filling issues, please let us know the specifics so we can look into it: OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions, as well as the website URL. We'll be glad to look into it to see if we can improve 1Password for everyone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It isn't possible for us to offer a single app. Many, many people use different platforms -- Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and, yes, Chrome OS, which is a big reason that 1Password X exists. While I'm sorry you've been confused and can understand the impulse to do away with everything else to simplify, I don't think that would justify us no longer offering things that others depend on.

This discussion has been closed.