How to move my license (not vault) to a new mac computer

Options
lldanj
lldanj
Community Member

I have 1password 5 for mac. i sync my vault via dropbox. i just replaced that computer. I have successfully accessed my vault on the new computer. But I don't have full functionality of 1password.

Do i have to enter my license info on the new machine? I have the email with my license key. But I don't have a sign-in address.

I don't understand the difference between membership, license, 1password.com, etc. I have a PC, a mac and an Android. I purchased 1password for all 3 devices.

Dan

1Password Version: 1Password 5 for Mac
Extension Version: I don't know
OS Version: OSX 10.14.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:how do i set up a new computer

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lldanj - I'm sorry for the confusion. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

If you've been a user of 1Password for a while, first of all, thank you! That means you've got a standalone license, not a 1password.com membership. That license will work forever to license the version you bought it for, but it does not include future versions (like the current 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows). If you'd like to download the version you purchased and use that, you can visit our updates server and download the version you need.

In older versions of 1Password, you would use the license key (like a serial number that you enter manually) for the Windows version of 1Password, while the Mac version requires a license file, which would have been included in the email you received from us at the time of purchase. Hope this is helpful, but feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

This discussion has been closed.