Why would I want to use Travel Mode

RCMjr
RCMjr
Community Member

I know that Travel Mode exists, but I'm not sure why I would want to use it? I'm traveling to Africa next week and am wondering if I should turn it on. Doing so, however, means I can't get to my passwords if I need them, correct?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @RCMjr

This post may help:

Introducing Travel Mode: Protect your data when crossing borders | 1Password

Travel Mode is one tool in the toolbox that may help protect your information when crossing international borders.

Ben

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member

This article was much more clear than something else I read, so thank you for that. I do have three more questions and I know you can't "answer" them for me, but I'd welcome your expertise so it can guide me in making a decision.

1) I'm only taking my iPhone with me. Can I unlock all my vaults from the 1Password app or do I need to log on to the website to do so? If I have to go to your website that means I have to put in my username and password. It seems I'd then be opening myself up to anyone to steal my info - and the last place I want hacked is my 1PW account.

2) Since I can unlock the other vaults once I get to my destination, what types of things might I include in my Travel vault? I'm assuming I wouldn't put my credit card & banking info, but I might want to put my Passport file and Agile Bits so I can log in to change the Vault settings once I get where I'm going. Would I include the credit card I'm carrying? (Again, I know you can't answer for me, but guiding me will help.

3) I tried copying a Secure Note that had some information, including the attached screenshot, and received a message "One of the items you are copying has a reference to another item. This item reference will be lost in the copy." What does that mean?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1) I'm only taking my iPhone with me. Can I unlock all my vaults from the 1Password app or do I need to log on to the website to do so? If I have to go to your website that means I have to put in my username and password. It seems I'd then be opening myself up to anyone to steal my info - and the last place I want hacked is my 1PW account.

The 1Password app will have all the vaults in your account except for those which are not marked "safe for travel" when you have Travel Mode enabled. In order to disable Travel Mode, you would need to sign into your account in a web browser. So I find it's helpful to leave a copy of my Emergency Kit with someone I trust in case I need to call them to get some info from it.

2) Since I can unlock the other vaults once I get to my destination, what types of things might I include in my Travel vault? I'm assuming I wouldn't put my credit card & banking info, but I might want to put my Passport file and Agile Bits so I can log in to change the Vault settings once I get where I'm going. Would I include the credit card I'm carrying? (Again, I know you can't answer for me, but guiding me will help.

Honestly credit cards are some of the least sensitive stuff I have, so I always keep those. After all, I can always report fraud and get new cards issued. Bank account info I would say no. But the rest is really up to you. A lot of people seem to keep images of their passports in 1Password when traveling, but I can't imagine that anyone operating in an official capacity would accept that in lieu of an actual passport. So really it's just a matter of preference.

3) I tried copying a Secure Note that had some information, including the attached screenshot, and received a message "One of the items you are copying has a reference to another item. This item reference will be lost in the copy." What does that mean?

Documents are separate items. It looks like you've linked to some of those in the Secure Note. Any copy you make of the Secure Note will not include other items, only the Secure Note itself.

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member

Thanks for this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! If you have any other questions, just ask. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.