To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Seem to have two master passwords - one that works on my cell and another on my computer?

I have a 1Password membership but haven't used it in several months. I am now trying to re-engage but I seem to have two different master passwords - one that works on my iPhone and another that works on my computer. I think it may have something to do with a personal account vs. a primary account but I'm not sure. Please help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Seem to have two master passwords - one that works on my cell and another on my computer?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pharrington7611 -- it sure sounds that way, yes. A vault called Primary is the default vault that is created when you use 1Password in standalone mode. You can create others, but you'll have that one, minimum. If you've been using 1Password in standalone mode with local data, the Master Password you created for that Primary vault, way back when you very first started using 1Password, will be the Master Password you use to unlock that particular 1Password app. If you then later sign up for a 1password.com account, you can add it right into your 1Password app, but even if you chose a different Master Password when you signed up for the account online, your Master Password for the app you have will still use the old "Primary" vault Master Password.

Look at your vaults in both the phone and your computer (go to "All Vaults" to check). If one has a Primary vault and the other doesn't, that's your answer: on the one that does, you're still using both local 1Password data and your 1password.com account. If that's the case, then the follow-up question is: have you already transferred all of the data that's in the Primary vault over into your 1password.com account? If not, you'll want to move those items over. Once you've done that, you can remove the Primary vault. The method for doing that varies depending on what platform it's on (Mac, PC, etc). Let me know if you'd like instructions for how to do that, or if this isn't the case you find yourself in.

• pharrington7611
    pharrington7611
    Community Member

Thank you, Lars. Your assessment was spot on - my computer had a Primary vault but phone didn't. I transferred the data from the Primary vault and then removed it. Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pharrington7611 You're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help, and drop by any time. :)

• VictoriaJZ
    VictoriaJZ
    Community Member

I sent in an email and have the same Q == I was using Standalone but moved to a subscription = I thought I got rid of all the old vaults -- now that the information is up in the sky with you, can I safely delete all copies on all my machines ==. maybe also deleting 1PW and reinstall the app and reconnect to the Agilebits located master?? I have trouble dealing with two passwords, and not really knowing which is 'best' = I want one password. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@VictoriaJZ - yes -- see the other thread you asked this same question in. Please don't post the same question in multiple threads, it slows the support experience for everyone who's waiting, including you.

This discussion has been closed.