Chrome Extensions now REQUIRES a subscription account? [desktop app extension does not]

Options
michaelfrankel
michaelfrankel
Community Member
edited November 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

It seems as if your Chrome extension now REQUIRES a subscription account log-in.

Are you f'in kidding me??

WTF, guys?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 1.10.1
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• michaelfrankel
    michaelfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

In case you guys thought I was joking, I'm not.

I need to know if this is a requirement because my entire website workflow is now disrupted.

Please answer my question ASAP!!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @michaelfrankel,

The 1Password X extension is a standalone extension and does require a 1Password account. What you need is the companion extension that connects to the locally running copy of 1Password for Mac/Windows. We used to have a dedicated page for the extension, for the moment you can find the download link on "Downloads - 1Password" page. 1Password X, the extension you don't want is on the left, the companion extension is on the right. That should see everything fall into place.

• michaelfrankel
    michaelfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

OK, that's nice but it doesn't work at all. I removed the 1Password X extension from Chrome, quit Chrome, opened up the page you directed me to, copied the link, opened it up in Chrome, installed the extension, then restarted Chrome again. However when I click on the icon in Chrome, NOTHING happens.

• michaelfrankel
    michaelfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

Ok - it took a full restart of my computer to get this working again.

It would be nice if you folks would make this process a bit clearer, and make the extension page, and the options, easier to understand.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @michaelfrankel,

It shouldn't have needed a full restart of the computer, I'm not sure what happened there. At least things are up and running now. We used to have a direct page for the companion extension that the clients linked to but it seems we're reworking things a bit at the moment. It looks like you may have been somewhat unlucky with the timing which I do apologise for.

• David_Tee
    David_Tee
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I have a similar problem. Every time I load up Chrome, the extension loads the relevant log in but when I click on it, it sends me to the subscription page. I used to be able to get rid of it by opening up the 1Password Program (6.8.8), removing and then reinstalling the extension. However, today not even that is working -it's still sending me to the subscription page.

This problem has been going on for a week or so.

Ah. Just discovered something. As I said, I'm on 6.8.8 which I've got from the Mac App Store. I've noticed you're on 6.8.9 now - which might solve this but I can't update because the Mac store version is now 7.2.1 and not featuring as an update (not wanting the subscription model, I wouldn't update anyway). There is no sign of 6.8.9 on the Mac app store.

...and just to make things even weirder, my original purchase for 1Password was back in 2010 directly with AgileBits. That was for 1Password 3 for Mac. I'm not sure how it's ended up as a Mac store purchase...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have a similar problem. Every time I load up Chrome, the extension loads the relevant log in but when I click on it, it sends me to the subscription page. I used to be able to get rid of it by opening up the 1Password Program (6.8.8), removing and then reinstalling the extension. However, today not even that is working -it's still sending me to the subscription page. This problem has been going on for a week or so.

@David_Tee: It sounds like you have the wrong thing installed. What versions of Chrome and the 1Password extension are you using there? 1Password X, as lil bobby mentioned above, works only with 1Password.com.

Ah. Just discovered something. As I said, I'm on 6.8.8 which I've got from the Mac App Store. I've noticed you're on 6.8.9 now - which might solve this but I can't update because the Mac store version is now 7.2.1 and not featuring as an update (not wanting the subscription model, I wouldn't update anyway). There is no sign of 6.8.9 on the Mac app store.

You won't find the old version in a search, but if you purchased it you can download it from your Apple ID's purchase history.

...and just to make things even weirder, my original purchase for 1Password was back in 2010 directly with AgileBits. That was for 1Password 3 for Mac. I'm not sure how it's ended up as a Mac store purchase...

However, keep in mind that you may have "purchased" it for free. In that case, it will be in read-only mode without a 1Password.com membership. The Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 only works with a membership. If you wanted to purchase a license you'd need to install it from our website instead.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Anyway, let me know what you find, and if you have any other questions.

• David_Tee
    David_Tee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty. Many thanks for the reply. Impressively quick!!

I'm on Chrome version 69.0.3497.100 and the 1 Password Extension setting is 4.7.3.90.

Looking through various emails I purchased 1 Password 3 for USD 39.95 from Agile Bits back in Dec 2010. There were various other purchases (1Password Pro and 1Password for ipad) via the app store at around the same time then the next major purchase was 1Password 4 in 2013 for £27.99 from the app Store (might have been iTunes in those days). There was another purchase up to Pro (not sure why) in 2015. As far as I know, there's just been updates since then.

I've looked through my Apple Purchase history and I can't see anyway of downloading 6.8.9 from there.

Like many others, I'm not sure about your subscription model. No offence intended but I shy away from subscription models (Adobe and Avid being two good examples) as a matter of principle - even more so when I've a long-time user and paid when asked. It would be a shame to leave 1Password - it's a great program.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David_Tee: I'm not sure I follow most of your comments, but If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store prior to version 7, it will be in your purchase history there:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272#apps

If it's not, you're either using the wrong Apple ID or you didn't purchase it at all. A 1Password for Mac version 6 license will not work for that. The other App Store purchases you mentioned would be for various iOS apps.

If you're still having trouble, shoot us an email at sales@1password.com with your Mac App Store purchase receipt and we can give you an AgileBits Store license for the appropriate version instead. It sounds like you probably just have multiple copies of 1Password installed though, so it would be best to drag those to the Trash and then install 1Password 6 from your App Store purchase history if you bought it there already.

• David_Tee
    David_Tee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty. I did purchase 1 Password from the App store and when I look under the purchase history it says that there's an update. However, when I click on the update, other than a little wheel whirring round in he top left hand corner of the app store window, nothing happens. If it is downloading, its been downloading for the past 25 minutes - which suggests something that should be happening, isn't. As an aside, App store always informs me when there's an update available - and I always update. It didn't in this particular case which is why I only noticed there was an update when I looked through the list of purchases.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David_Tee: I'm sorry to hear that. It's not something we have any control over since the App Store is owned and operated solely by Apple, but I suspect that dragging other copies of 1Password to the Trash and restarting your Mac will allow you to install it. Give that a try. :)

• David_Tee
    David_Tee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I've no idea how I've done it but I've got the plug-in working again (the one tha doesn't refer me to the subscription page) so for the moment all is well. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @David_Tee,

If that should change at all please let us know. Hopefully though things just keep working for you.

• narcvs
    narcvs
    Community Member
    Options

This is really unpleasant. I have installed the companion extension, and it does not work. I have ensured that I do not have 1Password X installed. Screenshots here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOWr8fYFU10dpGPpYi-7b511rHgHJ8uF7GUnixAs5Ao9Whs1s8P4TJgV-PkJsfGtQ?key=M0EzbmNLWENmX3FZS0dWTmFRTGN6TEJyeUlZbGpn.

Please help ASAP, this is really annoying!

• narcvs
    narcvs
    Community Member
    Options

It's worth noting that this experience feels like a bait and switch. I've really enjoyed and supported 1password, and recommended it to friends for a long time. The lack of support for those of us who've been with you for a long time and want to continue with e.g dropbox sync and a non-subscription payment does not inspire confidence. I will likely start considering your competitors to see if there's anyone out there operating the way I want (the way I feel you used to).

And with all that said, I really like your product and want to be won back over. Please just help me out here.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@narcvs: I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect a response within 5 minutes. I apologize that it's been about 13 hours now, but I do think it's fair that we reply to others who contacted us before you. I'm sorry that means you needed to wait longer than you wanted to though.

Regarding the issue it sounds like you're having (based on the little information you've provided at least), rather than a "bait and switch", it looks like you're just running into trouble because you haven't paid for the app, either as part of a 1Password.com membership or a standalone license. In that case, you just need to click the "Need a license?" option below "Subscribe today" in your screenshot to purchase a license for 1Password 7 if you don't want a membership. That will unlock all of the new Mac app's features. Otherwise you can continue using whatever version you already paid for.

• narcvs
    narcvs
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

I did not say anything about waiting, and was not expecting a response right away. Yours in turn comes across a bit passive aggressive to me.

When I mentioned lack of support, what I'm talking about is the confusion around how to get a new version of 1password to work the same way that it had been previously, with no clear messaging around how to do that without starting to pay for a subscription. And that's the bait and switch feeling. I just want it to continue working, because it has served me so well!

I think what I'm looking for here is first basic empathy for a really frustrating and confusing experience - I'm unable to use a tool that I've come to depend on, and I have no clear indicator for how to fix it - and second, just clear instructions for how to resolve it.

It's worth mentioning that this experience came right after having gone through the .agilebits vault migration steps, since my new computer wasn't able to open it - something that was also a very opaque process, and felt like I had to play detective a bit to find. The 1password7 program itself did nothing to help me there, it simply showed the file as greyed out.

I'm simply trying to point out a really frustrating experience with your product as designed.

Now: how do I go about figuring out how to get this to work? Do I downgrade to a previous version of 1password; and if so, how? And how do I know which version I should be downgrading to? Finally, how do I get a hold of my license that I've been using on previous computers?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@narcvs: I apologize for misunderstanding. I appreciate the clarification. We're very careful about not having the old version offer to automatically update to the new one since it's a paid upgrade. I am sorry that you had some trouble as a result of seeking out the new version without purchasing it, but I do think that "bait and switch" pretty clearly suggests that we pushed this on you and subsequently changed the terms of the deal without notice, and neither of those things are true. So I don't think that's either an accurate or fair characterization. However, I do agree that ideally it would be simple to install, purchase, and setup the new version; and while generally that's the case, I think you're right that it's more difficult when you don't have a clear sense of what you're trying to do.

In that spirit, you have a few options at this point:

a. Continue using the version you paid for. When you installed 1Password 7, it would have left the old app zipped in the Applications folder. You can trash 1Password 7, unzip the old version, and use that.*
    b. Purchase a license for 1Password 7 from within the app and use that.
    c. Sign up for a 1Password.com membership, which includes all of the apps and upgrades.

If you'll tell me which you prefer, I'll be happy to give you instructions on how to proceed. Or, if you have questions, about any of those, I can answer those as well. Let me know either way.

*As far as the license, I don't have any way of knowing. But you'll have that information in the email you received for the purchase. Please check your records, as that will point you in the right direction.

This discussion has been closed.