Where to add license key? [License keys are obsolete / no longer used]

cc8910
cc8910
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

Hi there - I had to do erase and restore of my mac, and I was able to get my secure 1password file, but it doesn't look like my license transferred. I was able to find the license key in my email, but when I try to "add a license" in 1password it only gives me the option to upload something, and no way to just copy and paste the key (its a 33 digit key). How do I add the license?

I previously was on 3.8.22 and upgraded to 6.8.9

1Password Version: 3.8.22, 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• cc8910
    cc8910
    Community Member

Help anyone?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Did you pay for an upgrade?

You were on the very old 1PW3, and the upgrade from 3 to 4 was paid. Then the upgrades from 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 were free. And 7 is a further purchase, either as a subscription (recommended) or licence.

Also, while 1PW3 had a licence KEY, later versions have a licence FILE.

As you are on 10.13, there seems no reason to stay with 1PW6. 1PW7 will run on your machine, and buying 1PW7 (outright or as a sub) now saves you trobule.

• Hi @cc8910

As danco mentioned upgrading would require either a 1Password membership (recommended) or purchasing a 1Password 7 for Mac license:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

I hope that helps!

Ben

• wpaustin
    wpaustin
    Community Member

I have a similar situation, I've just done a clean install on my Mac, and need the license file. Is there a simple way to re-obtain my license file?

• @wpaustin

Licenses are emailed, so you may want to check your email archive for a record of it. It should also be recorded in the Software License section of 1Password itself. If you can’t find it you can email out sales team at sales@1password.com to get it re-sent. Please note that licenses are sold on a per-version basis, so a 1Password 6 license would not work with 1Password 7, for example.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• wpaustin
    wpaustin
    Community Member

Thanks for the response. I was running version 6. I would like to purchase version 7, and have been attempting to do so via the app. I'm told that my email address is already on file, and to start over. Fine, but I don't have a 'secret key', as I signed up with support using this address in order to post the above query, and only received a welcome email, no key. If you could please advise me on how to proceed from here I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wpaustin - you need to have downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac directly from our downloads page if you want to purchase a standalone license. The Mac App Store version of 1Password is subscription-only as of version 7, so if you downloaded from the Mac App Store, you'll need to delete that version first and then grab our version. But within the app, you should see a screen that looks like this:

I've added an arrow for the link to click if you want a license. Clicking that should take you to a second screen that looks like this, with the license option selected:

From there, it should be pretty self-explanatory, but let us know if you continue to have difficulties. :)

• wpaustin
    wpaustin
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, However the problem I'm running into is when I'm told that my email is already associated with an account (the support account I created). I was not sent a secret key when I created a support account. Please see attached screen shot. When I start over, as suggested by the prompt, I'm asked for a secret key. So I suppose that my question is really, how can I subscribe using my email address, without a secret key?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wpaustin - thanks for the screenshot. That screen isn't a support account (like on this forum, for example), it's a signup screen for a 1password.com membership. Did you perhaps sign up for a 1password.com membership at some time in the past using this same email address? If so, that will be the reason you're getting this message. If you did this maybe as a test but abandoned it, or just never pursued it, then that account will be in Frozen status. But it shouldn't matter if what you want is a standalone license. Please follow the instruction to go backwards through these screens until you get to one that either looks like the first of the two I posted above, or looks like this:

Let me know which of these screens you see. Thanks. :)

• wpaustin
    wpaustin
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, I'm attempting to subscribe to the service. There is no visible way to 'go back', other than to close the window and start over. I'm given two choices from the menu bar: 1password 7/license... OR 1password 7/purchase 1password 7. Choosing the 1st option 1password 7/license gives me this: , which sends me back to the 'enter email' screen.

The other option 1password 7/purchase 1password 7 gives me the same screen. Either way, am I out of luck with this email address if I wish to subscribe?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@wpaustin - ah, OK -- in your original post, you said you "...need the license file. Is there a simple way to re-obtain my license file?" That made me think you were looking for a standalone license (either new or to be able to use your previous one), not subscribe to 1password.com.

In order to subscribe, you click that large green button ("Subscribe Today"). But each email address can only be used once; you cannot have more than one active individual 1Password account with the same email address. If you're finding that the system tells you there's already an account set up using this email address, then you'd need to delete that one first. Shoot us an email at sales@1password.com and one of us will help you get squared away, as we don't want personal email addresses in this public forum. Thanks! :) Make sure you include a link to this thread, so we can "connect the dots."

• mbakker
    mbakker
    Community Member

Dear 1Password team member.

Question 1
    End 2012 I purchased the 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle.
    I got the email with the Key having 34 characters. On my new Mac I installed 1password 4, but it is not possible to enter the Key in the Licence menu, there is only the possibility to add a file. I never received a file. In the email I got the following text is present "On your Mac, you can click here to auto-register 1Password for Mac". The 'click here' link does no anything.
    Please note that on my windows system I have also 1Password 4, which is Licenced using the same Key.
    Please advise how to make it Licenced on my Mac too.

Question 2
    I first installed 1Password 7, but this version asked for my Dropbox stored ".opvault" file.
    The database in dropbox containing all passwords has the name '1password.agilekeychain'. This file I use for 1password for Windows, iPhone, iPad. How can I use this '1password.agilekeychain' is I consider to upgrade to 1password 7 on my new Mac

Looking forwards to your answers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mbakker! If your last purchase of a 1Password license was 2012, that will not work to license 1Password 7 on either the Mac or Windows platform. 1Password 7 is an entirely new version, and requires the purchase of a new license or a 1password.com membership. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product (this is what you've done in the past):

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about this, but that will be the decision you need to make first: do you want to upgrade to version 7, and if so, do you want to purchase standalone licenses for both the Windows and Mac versions (we no longer sell a bundle combination of both), or do you want to become a 1password.com member and get both Windows and Mac versions included free with your membership?

• mbakker
    mbakker
    Community Member

@Lars
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    For the future I might consider to upgrade to 1Password 7.
    Unfortunately I could not find answers to my 2 questions..

Question 1
    I have a license key for 1Password 4 for the Mac (Key having 34 characters), however I can not enter this in the downloaded version (1Password 4 Version 4.4.3 (443000) Agile Web Store ). Downloaded via https://1password.com/downloads/mac/
    When I click the button “add license”, it expects a file. I don’t have a file, I only have the Key (with 34 characters).
    How can I License this previous bought 1Password version.

Question 2
    If I decide to purchase 1Password 7, how can I import my current database (1password.agilekeychain) into the expected ”.opvault”?
    Or do I need to add all the dozens of accounts (website + passwords, and other data) that I currently stored in 1password.agilekeychain, manually again to the new database?

Thanks in advance

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mbakker - Your license file will be in the original email you received directly from us when you purchased. If you no longer have those, I've resent the licenses I was able to find under the email address you used to register for this forum. If you don't receive the email, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk.

The reason I didn't answer your second question is that it depends on how you plan to do things. If you're going to use 1Password 7 for Mac, then you should be able to import older Agile Keychains as part of the upgrade process. If you're NOT planning to do that, then you'd probably want to convert your older Agile Keychain format to the newer OPVault manually (I can show you how). The process varies, but under no circumstances should you need to re-enter things manually. Let me know which way you'd like to proceed, and I can help you with instructions.

• mbakker
    mbakker
    Community Member

@Lars
    Regarding question 1
    In the past I did not receive an email with a file containing the Licence.
    I only received an email with the Key (in text).

Just now I checked if I got your email with License attachment, but I didn’t receive is (it is also not in the junk folder).

I found out that I purchased

1Password Mac + Windows Bundle end of October 2012
    And
    1Password 4 for Mac in begin of October 2014

Both ordered using my email, that I also use for the 1Password forum.

Can I send you privately these old order/purchase emails?
    If it helps, where to send them?

Regarding question 2
    Is it the case that I can’t import the 1password.agilekeychain into the trial version of 1Password 7?

If you have an instruction page ‘how to convert Agile Keychain into OPVault’, it would be nice to see.

If I decide to stay with the previous purchased 1Password version 4 for Windows, Mac but also separately purchased iPhone/ipad 1Password 4, is it advised to convert Agile Keychain into OPVault?

Thanks in advance

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@mbakker - I did indeed resend the licenses, and the license files are attached. Please re-check your spam or bulk mail folders if you don't see it.

And yes, you cannot use Agile Keychain files in 1Password 7 for Mac. You would need to convert them as part of the upgrade process, or use the File > Import command, and choose "1Password Keychain."

• mbakker
    mbakker
    Community Member

@Lars
    Around the same time I see the message “[1Password Forum] Lars mentioned you in Where to add license key? “ I receive another message from Agilebits with subject
    License Information for M. Bakker.
    This email has the same information as the email I got end of October 2012 “1Password Mac + Windows Bundle”.

This email does NOT contain a attached file

Note that on my Mac I created a “smart mailbox” containing all emails with attachment. This mailbox does not contain your messages.

Can you maybe upload the “file” somewhere and provide a download link?
    Or maybe zip the file and send by email again?

Thank you for your patience

Please note that I bought an update for 1Password 4 for Mac in begin of October 2014

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mbakker

This email does NOT contain a attached file

Right. The email should contain a link that says "Click here to apply your 1Password license" (or words to that effect). What happens when you click that link?

• mbakker
    mbakker
    Community Member

Find below a screenshot of the email I received (it's the same as I received in 2012).
    Serial numbers striped through. All the links in the email bring you to https://1password.com or https://1password.com/downloads/mac/
    Note that in 2014 I upgraded to 1Password 4 for the Mac

• mbakker
    mbakker
    Community Member

@Lars . Please see message above

• mbakker
    mbakker
    Community Member

@Lars
    OMG, in the email of 2014 (1Password 4 for Mac), when you click on a link, then a file is downloaded.
    This file licensed 1Password 4 on the Mac. Finally ;-)
    Thanks for your help

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mbakker - glad you found the right link. :)

This discussion has been closed.