1Password 6.8.9 hangs and even force quit and shutting down does not work

Options
Bernhard
Bernhard
Community Member

This has happened for the second time now. I am on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1510). 1Password 6 was running fine. When I tried to switch to the application from Finder with alt tab, nothing happened. Even the application name was not shown. I tried to force quit the application but that does not work. In the process list only 1Password mini is shown. I tried kill -s TERM and kill -9 but that does not work either.

When I tried to shut down my Mac via the Apple menu that does not work either. I have to press and hold the on/off key on the keyboard turn my Mac off.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bernhard - huh! Not sure what that's about. You may want to try running a tool like Disk Warrior to see if there's a directory issue, because switching via cmd+tab is (obviously) a macOS process, not a 1Password process. You might also try un/re-installing 1Password and the browser extension as well -- I suppose it's possible one of those has become corrupted and a re-install may address it.

• bvdo
    bvdo
    Community Member
    Options

I can concur - I have the same issue. In my case it typically happens after I tried switching to the 1Password app using Spotlight. I also need to press/hold the on/off key to get the MAC turn off. 1Password Mini keeps on working though.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bvdo - I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of 1Password for Mac you're running?
    2. What specific version of macOS you're running?
    3. What specific version of 1Password extension you're running, and in what browser (and version)?
    4. How you sync your 1Password data?
    5. Anything else you've noticed about how/when this occurs that might help us track it down? Is it consistent? Only under certain conditions, etc?

Thanks in advance.

• bvdo
    bvdo
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars: thanks for your response. Below are my answers:

1. 6.8.9 (689001)
    2. 10.12.6 (16G1618)
    3. 4.7.3 on Safari 12.0.1 (12606.2.104.1.2)
    4. Primary vault is local only, two other vaults sync using Dropbox
    5. Unfortunately not. I started to notice it when trying to switch to the app using Spotlight (which I use very frequently to open/change apps using the space-cmd shortcut) whereby Spotlight would immediately switch away again without opening the app. When trying to quit by right clicking on the 1Password dock icon, there's (I believe sometimes, not consistently) a Finder dialog popping up saying 1Password is no longer open. However the dot below the dock icon is still there and the app is not re-opening when clicking on it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bvdo - please make sure you're running the latest version of Dropbox; that can sometimes be a problem. I'd also consider running a disk repair tool on your Mac such as Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro to see if that helps. I suggest this because I'm not aware of any issues like what you're describing on an older setup like this. 6.8.9 is the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac and as such was (is) quite stable. And macOS 10.12 (“Sierra”) is also quite stable by now.

This discussion has been closed.