Auto-type feature in new Windows app [coming in a future update]

phdoe
phdoe
Community Member
edited April 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When do you have planned to integrate the client application auto-type feature from version 4 into version 6? I looking forward to move from KeePass to 1Password, but this is a must have feature.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:auto-type

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@phdoe: I can't tell you when it will be finished, but the "Type in Window" feature is something we're working on for 1Password 7. Thanks for letting us know this is something you're looking forward to! :)

• phdoe
    phdoe
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for your answer. I'm very happy to hear from you that this will be included in version 7.

• @phdoe: We're glad to hear this feature may tempt you back. Keep an eye open for the beta announcement and be sure to let us know what you think if and when you give it a go. :chuffed:

• phdoe
    phdoe
    Community Member

@bundtkate: i have just enabled the beta mode. When can I expect the feature in the beta program? As soon as it is there, I will switch over from KeePass and test it :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@phdoe: "Type in Window" is already available in 1Password 7 alpha. You can get it here:

1Password 7 for Windows Alpha 3 is here!

Whether you give it a try now or later on is up to you, but we'd love to hear your feedback. Cheers! :)

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

Hi @phdoe,

There may be some confusion here. There is no Auto-Type in 1Password 7, we have the first step implemented which is called Type in Window. It's a manual process that lets you choose a field to automatically paste into a running program window but it is nothing like Auto-Type from 1Password 4.

Type in Window will evolve into Auto-Type as we continue to improve 1Password but we don't have a timeframe on when it is coming.

To make it work:

1. Focus the field in the program you want 1Password to paste specific content in
    2. Bring up 1Password mini (Control + Alt + \)
    3. Type to find the item you want, right-click on it and hover over the field you want to paste, you'll find the list of running programs that 1Password can automatically paste the field into.

ref: OPW6-1991

• phdoe
    phdoe
    Community Member

@MikeT Thanks for your clarification. But then I need to wait for the identical feature which the version 4 has. The Type in Window option is no option for me, this is not what I'm looking for.

• @phdoe: Could you share specifically what you are looking for? Like everything in 1Password 6/7 we're starting from square one with these features, so it's helpful to know what functionality is important to y'all. :chuffed:

• phdoe
    phdoe
    Community Member

@bundtkate Today I use KeePass as my standard tool to manage my password. I use KeePass mainly in my daily business. And in my daily business I often use SAP, Remote Desktops, Windows 10 Apps and many other client applications. KeePass has the feature, that when I have started for example the SAP login dialog, I can use Ctrl + Alt + A and KeePass inserts my login credentials directly into the correpsonding fields. I don't need a manual step to insert username/password.
    In KeePass, I need to configure for every entry the Auto-Type configuration (if I want to use it). KeePass knows according the window title bar which is currently focused, which entry is associated with the opened client applicat (or webpage).
    Hope this helps to show you a bit more what I'm looking for.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@phdoe: Thank you for your detailed feedback! :+1: I believe that fully-featured Auto-type that we are planning to bring back in our new 1Password for Windows will suit your needs, but, as Mike noted above, we have no ETA at this point. Please stay tuned! :)

In the meantime, let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. We are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• jbrazda
    jbrazda
    Community Member

Hi,
    I just recently switched Windows and KeePass to Mac and 1Password I have to say not having auto-type in 1Password, was a huge disappointment as a software engineer this is very important feature to any developer workflow when you need enter secure entries key secrets to other places than browser windows, like terminals for sudo entering passord to native apps such remote desktop or VPN clients etc, and googling for this feature led me to this forum post. I can see in your forums that you are promising this feature at least since 2014, and saying that this feature ETA is unknown. it not only about the password entries to other apps, for example even in browser Command + \ does not work to enter password to http challenge popup either. You should work with apple and Microsoft provide safe way to populate password fields in apps beyond browser. Copy/pasting the content through clipboard have some other not very good security implications. I think KeePass implementation on Windows should be a good example how to do this well and support pretty much any app with customizable auto-type key sequences for password key entries.

With regards,
    JB

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jbrazda: I'm not sure what you're talking about. This Windows app did not even exist in 2014. The one we had at that time did have an Auto-Type feature. We'll be adding it to the new one as well, but it won't happen overnight. Basic HTTP auth is a whole other can of worms though. The browsers themselves don't all have good support for this, and people who use it are dwindling. Just keep in mind that while your point about the clipboard is a fair one, that the risks associated with that would also apply to keystrokes; malware could just as easily do both. We do want Auto-Type though, and that could also help with that particular use case. Thanks for your feedback on this!

• phdoe
    phdoe
    Community Member

@Greg Any news on the implementation timeline of this feature?

• @phdoe: No news at this time. We're in the middle of a longer development cycle aimed at improving some performance issues impacting a fairly large subset of our customers, so new features are currently on the backburner at the least until that is done. When things will ramp back up depends on when we're able to get these improvements out the door and we're not really close enough for me to have even a decent guess at when that will be. So, for the moment, we're still in hang tight mode on auto-type and we'll share news as we have it.

• metrickstar
    metrickstar
    Community Member

@bundtkate Any updates? Auto-typing into desktop applications is so important for me and many others.
    Sometimes I really regret migrating to 1Password, just because this key-feature is missing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing to announce at this time. The "Type in window feature" works in many cases already, but we do want to expand on that in future updates.

• metrickstar
    metrickstar
    Community Member

@brenty I really would not call it "Type in window feature", it is even slower than just copying it into the fields.
    It is so inconvenient to open the 1Password Mini at least 2 times to type in username + password. I do not get what is more important than such a feature.

• Importance is ultimately a subjective call. If 1Password were built on my definition of important, type in window wouldn't even exist as I rarely use it. Thankfully, it's not built for any one of us so we do our best to prioritize based on demand and impact. Right now, our focus is on performance as it's been far away the thing most impacting the largest number of our customers. We're making good progress on that and are looking forward to getting back to more frequent and smaller updates. In the past, we've made a habit of having a faster release schedule with a few fixes, improvements and new features in each release meaning these things moved faster. We've had to take a step back from that in order to address some larger issues, but once we've got those sorted, we'll be back in a good place to get back to it and start doing a better job of introducing some of the new features folks have been asking for – autotype included. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

For me it works instantaneously. The "slow" part is selecting the field and app window to fill. Certainly you can click the Copy button in the menu instead and paste if you want to though. Cheers! :)

• chrisdcaldwell
    chrisdcaldwell
    Community Member

I find that the "Type in Window" functionality doesn't work for me because the target window (Called "Entrust Security Store Login" from the Consigno desktop suite) does not appear in the window. This window does not permit pasting the password and the 1Password 4 AutoType functionality worked perfectly. I upgraded because of the Chrome update issue but this is a real disappointment for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Interesting. I'm sorry to hear that, but thanks for letting us know. I'm surprised that they make it entirely impossible to paste. We'll work to improve the Type in Window feature to get it working there. In the mean time, using a random Wordlist password may help, if they're going to make you type it. :blush:

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member

Coming from KeePass, I cannot get auto type to work at all. Auto fill does work but the keyboard triggered filling never works.

What am I doing wrong?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andx1pw: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the confusion. As Mike mentioned above, the new Windows app does not have Auto-Type. Currently it has a "Type in window" feature you can access by right-clicking the item and using the menu for a specific field.

• andx1pw
    andx1pw
    Community Member

I see. So what is the setting for that is called "Fill Login or show 1Password". More correctly, what is the "Fill Login" bit for?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andx1pw: It defaults to ⌘ \, and will fill saved login credentials in your browser, provided you have the 1Password desktop extension installed there:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

• MacBeezle
    MacBeezle
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password since 5 years now and had to switch to 1Password 7 just because the broken Chrome Extension will not be fixed.

I'm also missing this feature badly! :(
    My use case: A software tool opens a login screen & I want to "auto type" the - like I was able to to in 1Password 4.

Without this feature I need to

• open 1Password,
    • find the Logindata,
    • right click on user
    • -> copy to clipboard, (the login window does not appear in the list of windows)
    • switch application to login screen,
    • paste;
    • switch back to 1Password,
    • right click on password
    • -> copy to clipboard , (the login window does not appear in the list of windows)
    • switch application to login,
    • paste,
    • click on "ok".

I want to

• open 1Password mini
    • find the Logindata,
    • click on "auto-type"

and that's it.

• Thanks for sharing your use-case, @McBeezle. :chuffed: As several others have mentioned here, we have plans to improve this in a future update. For the moment, you might find yourself better served by using the main app where you can click to copy any field. Not a huge savings, but a few clicks saved is better than nothing. :+1:

• phdoe
    phdoe
    Community Member

i'm still very interessted in this function, to move from keepass to 1password and to use all the other features which 1password gives. If I read all the other requests, I think there are many other people which are waiting for this function also.
    Is it not possible to update the priority of this function and to implement this in the next couple of months?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@phdoe: We try not to share any ETAs or make any promises. We are aware that this feature is an important one, but right now we have other high priority things on our plate, that is why our next update is taking longer than expected.

Please stay tuned for more news and updates and feel free to reach out to us anytime. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• benjamint
    benjamint
    Community Member

As a developer and long time user of KeePass this was the only missing feature for me aswell when i was forced to swap from KeePass due to company policy.

How you (brenty) reply to people requesting this feature is under my belief. You claim your application did not excist in 2014 but your own site says it was released 2014-06-17 (https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4) however thats irrelivant the talk about it started after the release of 1password v4 in 2012. You then released "for mac" in 2013 and again talked about the upcomming windows version.
    I do understand you rebooted the code but the name remains and the enduser dont care that you started over.

Maybe lissend to your paying customers and think before making claims that your custumer doesnt know what he is talking about.

Even if you feel "Type in window" is close to your orginal feature i say its not it take alot more interactions from the user.

Try out KeePass and its excellent auto-type. Thats something to strive towards in my opionion.

Thanks for an otherwise great product and keep the updates comming i hope you eventually make an autotype feature.

Cheers Benjamin

This discussion has been closed.