1Password not asking to save logins when submitting new forms on some sites

1P v6.8.x always asked, wether to save a new login after a new filled form was submitted. This behavior has changed in 1P v7. This is especially troublesome as I expected it to behave as reliable as I recall that functionality to be.

Example where 1P did not ask to save a new login:

Can't recall but there were more, which I'll add if I re-run into cases.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

I tried to submit on this site using the return key in the password field and by clicking the Continue button. In both cases, 1Password prompted me to save a new Login for the site. Is it possible you already had this same password saved for this site, maybe used for two different accounts or something?

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ 1Password
    Fort Worth, Texas

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member

It worked as I re-tried. Could it be that if 1password is not unlocked and forms are then filled, it will not ask to store the form? And if that's the case, would I always first have to check in the browser plugin if 1password is unlocked before sending a form, if I want to make sure I am not loosing filled data?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @LosInvalidos,

As you're running 1Password 7 the answer is 1Password will always prompt, sometimes incorrectly. Given the behaviour has changed between versions this deserves an explanation.

If 1Password has not been unlocked once since it first launched then your entire vault is unreadable as the files are only ever stored locally in an encrypted state. In this state 1Password has no way of knowing whether credentials the extension finds are in 1Password or not and at least now in 1Password 7 this will always result in an unlock prompt. What should happen of course is if 1Password then finds the credentials are already in your vault that it doesn't bother you. There's a bug and an issue filed where 1Password for Mac will still offer to save even if you have an item.

Now that's just for the scenario where 1Password hasn't been running, you've launched it but haven't unlocked it yet.

The much more common scenario is 1Password has been running for a while and you've unlocked it at least once since you launched it. I don't understand the mathematics and mechanics behind it but even if 1Password locks it retains just enough information to be able to say whether something it sees is in the vault or not. It isn't simply decrypted data as that would entirely defeat being able to lock 1Password so maybe something like a hash? however it works if you log into an account not known to 1Password it will prompt to unlock and offer to save, if you log into an account known to 1Password it ignores it just as it would if 1Password was unlocked.

It means it isn't entirely clear why you weren't prompted the second time. If 1Password wasn't running at all that would certainly account for no prompt but I get the feeling that isn't the case. All we can say with any confidence is that Jamie found it would prompt, you experienced similar results in a second test so it seems to have been a blip. Hopefully there aren't too many other blips and you see more consistent behaviour out of 1Password. If that isn't the case at all please let us know.

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member

Thanks so much for your thorough explanation. Consider this case closed.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

If it was helpful than I'm happy @LosInvalidos :smile: If you have any other questions please do let us know.

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member

Picking up this old topic instead of creating a new. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/users/auth does not autofill an existing login for that site. I was also unable to "save new login" after manually filling the details. It seems no new login is created. This is using Firefox 64.0 and 1P 7.2.4.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @LosInvalidos,

Mozilla disable extensions in Firefox when on their own sign-in page so to the best of my knowledge there's nothing we can do there. If you were to try saving and filling on that page using Chrome for example it all works. Sorry I don't have anything more promising for this use case.

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member

Ouch! Is there an open Firefox ticket for that problem?

https://home.openweathermap.org/users/sign_up also does not offer to store a new login.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LosInvalidos,

Given it's intentional I would doubt it.

It's a very different reason for that second one. I need to test a bit more but I don't think the extension understands input fields of type submit which they use rather than an actual button. It could be something where we adjust what we allow the extension to react to. I can't think of a downside but the more experienced hands here at 1Password may know of a reason why we don't.

This discussion has been closed.