Keyboard problem on iPad

Options
alexmidd
alexmidd
Community Member

Can the keyboard for the iOS app please be updated so that the number/symbol key is at the bottom left and the emoji key is to the right of it please? The current configuration, with the emoji key at bottom left and the number/symbol key to the right of it is annoying as it is the opposite way round from other keyboards and it means I keep hitting the emoji button instead of getting the numbers and symbols keys (why I even need emojis in a password app I am not sure). Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.0.1 (16A404)
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @alexmidd,

I wasn't aware that we had any say in the placement of those buttons on stock keyboards but I will check with development and see if this is something we can improve. Thanks for letting us know!

Ben

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, you could be right. It's just that the buttons are in a different place even from the normal iOS keyboard, but it might just be a variation of their keyboard. I just assumed it was a 1Password one. If it's not, then my apologies.

• Ben
    Options

No apologies necessary in either event. Just to be clear: you're not using a 3rd party keyboard, correct? This is the built-in Apple English keyboard?

Ben

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben

I actually use Gboard and not the Apple keyboard, but I don't recognise this one in particular as Gboard as for a start it doesn't have the Google "G" symbol on the left. But I know the Apple keyboard still gets forced on me when entering security info such as passwords etc, so it could be that kicking in for 1Password.

Alex

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

If it's any help, this is what the keyboard looks like:

• Ben
    Options

@alexmidd,

Gotcha. Thanks! I suspect the problem is that Gboard is your default keyboard. We have 3rd party keyboards disabled in 1Password by default, and the keyboard you're seeing in your screenshot is Apple's fallback when it can't use the keyboard you have selected. If you were to switch your default keyboard to the standard Apple English keyboard I suspect you would not see this issue.

It is possible, but not recommended, to enable 3rd party keyboards in 1Password (1Password > Settings > Advanced > Allow Custom Keyboards). This does not override the iOS restriction on 3rd party keyboards in password fields, though.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks for that Ben, that's very helpful, especially as it's not really a 1Password issue. It's useful to know how this is working though and you have clarified that. I will just put up with it for now though as I don't want to use Apples keyboard generally, so I will just have to learn not to hit that emoji button. :-)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @alexmidd. Happy to help the best we can. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.