Didn't notice unsuccessful sync

Options
jennifer_cochran
jennifer_cochran
Community Member

I upgraded to a new Mac- 1Password 6 (6.8.9) on the old Mac and 1Password 7 on the new one. I think I did not sync correctly but had what I needed to carry on and so didn't notice. Continued to add and update passwords successfully. Now I got an iPhone XR and it is not syncing (error message is unable to sync). And then I looked for something I knew was in the vault and couldn't find it. Opened the old computer and info is there - also noticed there are many more items on the old computer than the new one. I thought I followed instructions but must have missed something.

I'd like to get everything in sync so don't want to overwrite data on the new computer, and then sync the phone..

Thanks for your assistance.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jennifer_cochran - I'm sorry for the trouble! It sounds as if you may be syncing to different keychains in Dropbox, but it's hard to say from just your description. However, we've got a great guide to help you figure out what might be wrong.

• jennifer_cochran
    jennifer_cochran
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I read this guide and followed steps in it before writing. The guide and website both refer to using the 1password account for stability (compared with dropbox). Could you clarify if an account is different from a subscription? Does a subscription come with an account?

• jennifer_cochran
    jennifer_cochran
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see the 'sync' icon in 1Password preferences.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jennifer_cochran - apologies for the confusion. A 1Password membership includes an account, yes, and it is paid for via subscription. Those terms may be used interchangeably, even though they shouldn't always. Membership/subscription/account refer to a 1Password membership.

If you don't see the Sync icon in 1Password for Mac's Preferences, then it sounds as if you may have already inadvertently signed up for a 1password.com account trial. All memberships come with a 30-day free trial. In 1Password for Mac, if you start it at first with a 1password.com account, you don't see the sync icon (or Backups or WLAN Server) because your backups and sync are performed as part of your account, and you don't need to manually set those up or manage them. On the newer Mac, in 1Password, please open Preferences > Vaults and tell me what you see there - how many vaults are there, and what are the names of the vaults? Now check the same thing on your older Mac, and check your iPhone by opening Settings > Vaults. Are they the same?

• jennifer_cochran
    jennifer_cochran
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm. I have a regular subscription (have paid annual fees). I did start with a regular purchased version of 1Password but when it needed to be upgraded I went with the subscription.

On the newer Mac I see the main account name [NAMENAME] and then three vaults under that [Private, ESC, and Shared].

Older MAC - (1Password 6) (which has the full menu bar) I see 3 main vaults - Primary, ESC, and NAMENAME, plus the subs to NAMENAME [Private, ESC, Shared].

On the new phone All Vaults is checked; not checked below that are NAMENAME then Private, ESC, and Shared. Below that I see [not checked] 'ON DROPBOX" Primary. And I get the Dropbox authorization failed message.

Looks like the problem starts when I went to the new Mac..

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jennifer_cochran - thanks for the additional information. "NAMENAME" is not a vault, it's the name of your account. What that means is that on your older Mac, you have both the vaults you used to have in your standalone setup (Primary, ESC), plus the vaults that were originally transferred from your older standalone setup TO your account -- that's why one of them is also named "ESC." The Primary vault was converted to the Private vault, and Shared exists because you created a 1Password Families account and those always have a Shared vault as one of the defaults.

Because it's the place where ALL your data currently resides, we're going to focus exclusively on the OLD Mac. This is complicated a bit by the fact that you kept using BOTH sets of data, the local (standalone) vaults (Primary, ESC) and the new 1password.com account vaults (Private, ESC, Shared). But don't panic, the good news is that it appears all of your data is available on this one device. Your job will be to manually go through your data and transfer all of it that needs transferring from the previous standalone vaults into your 1password.com account vaults. Here's how I'd go about it:

1. Figure out when you initially migrated the data from standalone --> account.
    2. Use the vault menu to select one of your old (standalone) vaults on your old Mac, so you're viewing only that vault's data.
    3. Set the sort order at the top of the item list column to Date Modified. This will give you everything that's been changed/added, in date order.
    4. Compare what's changed here to what's in the corresponding vault in your account, and make any necessary changes by either moving items entirely or by manually copying/pasting fields from one record in the standalone vault to its pair that's already in the 1password.com vault. Do this first with Primary --> Private, then ESC --> ESC.
    5. Once you've moved or changed everything since the date you originally migrated your data (in other words, once you've captured all the changes that may have been made to standalone vaults and transferred that to the corresponding vaults in your 1password.com account, we can go about removing the older standalone vault(s) on your devices. Let me know when you're ready for that.
  • jennifer_cochran
    jennifer_cochran
    Community Member
    Options

Done!

• jennifer_cochran
    jennifer_cochran
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I'm ready for next steps in this process. Thanks.

• jennifer_cochran
    jennifer_cochran
    Community Member
    Options

Hello! I haven't heard anything since 11/16 on this! Can you help with next steps in the process??? Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jennifer_cochran - sorry for the delay in my reply; I was away for the Thanksgiving holiday last week. If you've now got a complete and up-to-date copy of your data on your old Mac, and are ready to go 1password.com membership-only, then here's how to remove the now-redundant local vaults on all devices:

On Mac(s)

• Switch to each of the NON-account vaults using the Vault menu at the top of your screen (Vault > Switch to Vault > (name of vault)
    • Delete the vault by clicking Vault > Delete __X__ vault

-- note: you must delete the Primary vault last, or this will not work; do all secondary (non-account) vaults first.

On iOS devices

• Tap Settings > Advanced > Delete all 1Password Data (warning: this will do exactly what it says)
    • Re-launch 1Password and it will be as if you are a new user. Sign into your 1password.com account.

Let me know how that goes for you. :)

• jennifer_cochran
    jennifer_cochran
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you - I'm all set now!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jennifer_cochran - great! Glad to be able to help you get set up. Enjoy your new 1password.com membership! :)

This discussion has been closed.