Master password was not accepted (solved)

Options
Kobes
Kobes
Community Member

So, I had this issue where my correct masterpassword was not being accepted. Yes, I went through the suggestions like copy-pasting from a text editor, double checking caps and what not. I was sure it was right (I even double checked with a touch ID based backup).

So, then I set out to fix the problem by clearing the (imho) obviously bad state that 1P was in, kill all 1Password related processes from the command line and start the app anew. That fixed the problem, so phew.

However, it is not very reassuring. Is there anything the 1P team can do to give some background, or can I send anything your way to be able to investigate. Reliability is pretty damn important for 1P (and so far it has never let me down), so anything that you or I can do to prevent this from happening would be good.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14.1
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty sorry that I randomly refer to you, but I guess that my title makes for everybody to go past this topic which was not what I intended. Hopefully you can briefly take a look (or ping someone else).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kobes - I'm not sure just from your description what might have been wrong, so it's a little hard for me to say what was resolved. Reliability is certainly important for your 1Password data, but the way 1Password works is via encryption. Your data is not just held behind an authentication gateway; it's entirely transformed by AES256 into unreadable ciphertext, which is based on your Master Password. If you provide the correct Master Password, it can be decrypted. If you don't, it cannot.

Can you tell me what you see when you open 1Password for Mac and look in Preferences > Vaults? What is the number - and names - of the vaults you see there?

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

To me it seems that there might have been some kind of memory corruption in the app actually, as the decryption process apparently failed (or maybe the app could not verify a checksum or something), while the password was definitely good.

In terms of vaults, I have 2 sections:
    1P Families account name
    Primary, which is disabled (empty checkbox)

Under family I have 4 vaults that are all named with only plain English characters and a dash sometimes.

Does that help?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kobes - Primary is never disabled. You can remove it from the All Vaults view (which is what that checkbox does), but it remains present. I was wondering whether this might be the case.

If you have a Primary vault, that means you were initially using 1Password in standalone mode. At some point, you created a 1password.com account. When you did so, you would've been asked to give that account a Master Password. This Master Password for your 1Password Families account could have been, but would not have to be the same as the old Master Password you had been using for your Primary vault. Do you remember whether you created a new/different Master Password for your 1Password Families account?

However, the way 1Password for Mac works is: the password of whatever vault is first created/synced the first time you run it gets used as the Master Password for 1Password for Mac. In other words, not-removing your Primary vault means that you're still using the Master Password for that vault, in 1Password for Mac -- even though you may have added your 1Password Families account that had a different Master Password.

If you're not sure, here's how to tell: sign into your 1Password Families account in a browser -- or try to. If you are entering a different Master Password than the one you use to unlock 1Password for Mac, then you used a different Master Password. Or, if you can't sign into your account in a browser, that's likely to be the case. Let me know what you discover.

This discussion has been closed.