Sync between new 1Password and Older version

Options
raberlin64
raberlin64
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for years on my Mac, iphone, etc. My vault was in a dropbox folder. With the recent version of 1Password 7, have the vaults move to the cloud? I seem to have a vault in a 1Password account AND my old vault in my dropbox? Should I have both? Should I migrate to your cloud? How do I sync the two vault?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @raberlin64! If your vaults were previously synced via Dropbox, then they were already "in the cloud" -- just a different cloud.

It sounds like what may have happened is that you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac and created a 1password.com account in the process. When that happens, 1Password 7 for Mac will migrate (copy) your data from the previous setup you had into your newly-created 1password.com account, and then it will offer you the choice to remove your now-redundant Primary vault. If you decline to do that, then you'll have two identical vaults (at first).

Unfortunately, if you kept the older Primary vault, then as soon as you continue using your data, these two vaults that were identical at the moment of copy/transfer will start becoming less and less alike, as you add/change/delete data in one - or possibly even BOTH - vaults. How long ago did you upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac/create your 1password.com account?

• raberlin64
    raberlin64
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars, I really appreciate the timely response.

I upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac as soon as it came out.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@raberlin64 - OK, thanks for the clarification. If that's the case, you'll want to be pretty careful, since it's entirely possible you've been adding/changing data in BOTH the local Primary vault AND the Personal vault. Here's what I'd do:

• Switch to your Primary vault in 1Password for Mac
    • View All Items, and set the sort order to "Date Modified"
    • Either move or copy to Personal any items that have been added or changed AFTER the date you created your 1password.com account

Once you've got what you consider to be a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in your Personal vault, you can (and should) click Preferences > Advanced in 1Password for Mac and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove the Primary vault, leaving you running only your 1password.com account's Personal vault. You can do this on all your Macs. In 1Password for iOS, it's under Settings > Vaults > Delete Primary vault. Once you've done that, you should be running only your 1password.com account in all devices. Let me know if you run into any problems.

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using One Password 6.8.? whatever the latest was.. on a MacBook Pro late 2-12 - El Capitan.. the latest updates have been done. I also use it on my new iPhone XS max and on my iPad Pro 1o.5 and my iPad mini. IO just got a MacBook Air with Mojave. I went to the App Store and all I could get was One Password 7. I downloaded it and did not even try to just migrate what I had on the MBP t the air. All the date synced with iCloud. However when I try to use One Password a pop up window tells me I have to buy a membership. Can I simple add what I have to my MB Air or do I have to upgrade everyone and how will that work. I'm very confused but I need to get this working ASAP. Please help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vmrdia - you're being told you have to purchase 1Password 7 for Mac because it's a new version. Can you clarify something for me? Is the new MacBook Air a replacement for the older MacBook Pro? Or will you be keeping (and using) both? Are you able to upgrade the OS on it to at least macOS 10.12 (“Sierra”), or will it be staying at El Capitan? And, last question, did you previously purchase 1Password 6 for Mac from the Mac App Store?

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

The new MacBook Air is a 2nd computer. I'm keeping the MBP early 2013 and at the moment have no plans to upgrade from El Capitan. I did purchase 1Password from the Mac App store in or around Feb 2015 - at least that's when I got my "welcome" email from you guys. I have been upgrading regularly and it is up to date. It is also working fine on my IOS devices. New iPhones and iPads were restored from backups so 1password came with the backups. The MBA was set up as a new computer - that's why I ended up downloading 7 from the app store

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vrmdia - thanks for the clarification. OK, you're at something of a crossroads here. 1Password 7 for Mac is a completely new, full-version upgrade, and as such, it requires a new purchase. However, we made the decision to have the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac be membership-only, meaning that if you want a standalone license, you'd have to quit and delete the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac, then visit our downloads page and download our version, install it, and purchase a standalone license.

Your other two options would be either to remove 1Password 7 for Mac from the newer MBA and visit the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store and install the older version, OR to migrate to a 1password.com membership. You can use a 1password.com membership in 1Password 6 for Mac and in 1Password 7 for Mac, which means you could continue using 1Password 6 for Mac on the older MacBook Pro, while using 1Password 7 for Mac on the newer MacBook Air. I'd recommend the latter option, as trying to re-install version 6 on Mojave is going to be a dicey proposition going forward, with the new changes to extensions Apple has made in Safari 12.

If you want to try out a 1password.com membership free for 30 days, you can visit the main 1Password sign-up page and create an account, then (in 1Password 7 for Mac) migrate your data to the new account and on your older El Capitan MacBook Pro, you can simply Start Over and the next time you launch 1Password 6 for Mac, just sign into your new account.

If you have any questions, definitely let us know; we're here if you need us. :)

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

So you're saying keeping using 6 on the older Mac and get a membership as opposed to a license for 7 for the Air.
    What do I get with a membership that I don't with a license? A license is like buying it again since it's all new -- which is fine with me. If I use 6 o the older Mac and & on the newer, will they sync ok? what happens on my iOS devices? do they stay with 6 or go to 7? is or should I just put 7 on everything? As you can tell, I'm still a bit confused! 6 is what is running on IOS devices. Can I just use 7 across all devices? is uninstalling 6 complicate? Oy! So many stupid questions!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vrmdia - there are quite a few advantages to a 1password.com membership, not least of which is that you get all four of our native 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) including all future upgrades to those apps, included with your membership. That means, if you switch platforms or add a different device, no more fooling around with purchasing another license for the new platform, remembering to keep old license emails with the keys or license files, etc. You just download 1Password on any device you want to use it on, sign into your account, and that's it. Sync is also effortless, as it's all handled by the 1password.com servers; no more setting up, maintaining and (potentially) troubleshooting limited, 3rd party sync.

If I use 6 o the older Mac and & on the newer, will they sync ok?

Yes. That's one of the beauties of 1password.com membership - it just works (to borrow a phrase from Steve Jobs). Of course, there are limits to which versions of 1Password can make use of a membership -- you can't expect to sign into your account in an old copy of 1Password 3 for Mac, for example, because 1password.com accounts didn't exist then...and over time, older versions will become incompatible. So there might come a time when you wouldn't be able to use a very old Mac that was hardware-limited to an older version of OS X, because you wouldn't be able to install a new-enough version of 1Password to keep using it with your account. But that's no different than what exists with standalone 1Password either. As long as you devices and versions of macOS are relatively up to date, you'll be just fine.

Can I just use 7 across all devices?

No. Your older MacBook Pro -- as long as you keep it on El Capitan -- cannot use 1Password 7 for Mac, because version 7 requires macOS 10.12 (“Sierra”).

is uninstalling 6 complicate?

No. Just make sure you Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then drag the application to your Mac's trash. :)

Feel free to ask any additional questions. :)

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

So you're saying keeping using 6 on the older Mac and get a membership as opposed to a license for 7 for the Air.
    What do I get with a membership that I don't with a license? A license is like buying it again since it's all new -- which is fine with me. If I use 6 o the older Mac and & on the newer, will they sync ok? what happens on my iOS devices? do they stay with 6 or go to 7? is or should I just put 7 on everything? As you can tell, I'm still a bit confused! 6 is what is running on IOS devices. Can I just use 7 across all devices? is uninstalling 6 complicate? Oy! So many stupid questions!

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks -- sounds like the membership is the way to go -- also - to be consistent i'm wondering if I should be 7 on both machines. You did mention you thought leaving 6 alone on the older mac was better.. How will the IOS devices upgrade?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vrmdia

You did mention you thought leaving 6 alone on the older mac was better.

Not really -- I mentioned that it was unavoidable if you plan to stay on El Capitan on your MacBook Pro. I frankly would not recommend sticking with a version of macOS that's now three versions out of date (with the release of Mojave). But if you must for whatever reason or just prefer to, then 1Password 6 for Mac will be your ONLY option, as 1Password 7 for Mac requires macOS 10.12 (“Sierra”) or newer. If you're keen to run the same version on both Macs, then upgrading macOS on your older MacBook Pro to Sierra would allow you to install 1Password 7 for Mac on it.

1Password for iOS is much easier to deal with because you can turn on automatic updates and you'll get the newest versions right from the App Store as soon as we release them. My guess would be that you're already using 1Password 7 on your iOS devices, and have been for a while now.

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

I am afraid of upgrading because I have an early 2013 MBP and have concerns about how well it will run. I've just signed up for 7 on my Air.. I see that I have a secret key. How do I save it somewhere other then in Preferences? How do I know I'm running 7 on IOS and already 7 is suggesting passwords to update. Will those migrate to 6 on my MBP? it also told me to scan a barcode to my iOS devices.. do I have to do that? Do I just keep using 7 as I've always used 6? Sorry for all the questions. it's a bit confusing. Thanks for your patience.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vrmedia - you should have been prompted as part of the sign-up process to save your Emergency Kit. If you weren't, now's a good time to sign into your account in a browser and print it out or save it. It's also a good idea to write or type your Master Password on it. This can serve as a hard-copy backup of your credentials in the event of memory failure -- yours, or your computer's ;) Keep it in a safe place, where you keep other important and sensitive documents like passports or birth certificates. You'll need your Secret Key any time you want to sign in for the first time on a new device (or browser). Once you sign in once, the Secret Key will be stored either in the app (if that's what you used) or in browser local storage (if that's what you used).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vrmdia - oops, hit post before finishing answering your questions.

How do I know I'm running 7 on IOS and already 7 is suggesting passwords to update. Will those migrate to 6 on my MBP?

If you've got a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data already in your 1password.com account because of the transferring you did on your Mac, then you can just add your account to 1Password for iOS and then remove your Primary vault by visiting Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete vault.

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

I am afraid of upgrading because I have an early 2013 MBP and have concerns about how well it will run. I've just signed up for 7 on my Air.. I see that I have a secret key. How do I save it somewhere other then in Preferences? How do I know I'm running 7 on IOS and already 7 is suggesting passwords to update. Will those migrate to 6 on my MBP? it also told me to scan a barcode to my iOS devices.. do I have to do that? If I do what you say on IOS devices does a new vault appear? I use it a lot on my IOS devices

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vmrdia - this looks like a nearly-exact copy of your previous post.

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

it is close - not sure what I did. has something to do with signing on and out I think... anyway - yes, concerned about upgrading MBP as stated. I figured out how to get the secret key saved outside of 1password. I still don't know what's running on my IOS devices. the last part of my last redundancy]is new - idk how to know what version I'm running and what happens when or if I delete a vault. is the info somewhere in settings? I'm going to look now.. AND if I change or add a password in 7 is it going to sync with my other computer and IOS?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vrmdia - you can tell the version number of 1Password for iOS by opening Settings and scrolling down. It will be written in small print above "Advanced."

...if I change or add a password in 7 is it going to sync with my other computer and IOS?

If you are running a 1password.com account on all devices (the same account everywhere), then yes -- that's part of what the 1password.com service does: syncs your data across devices.

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

NEW. I've added the account to my iOS devices and yes they were running 6. I have not deleted vaults. what happens when I I do that. what happens if I don't?

I am afraid of upgrading because I have an early 2013 MBP and have concerns about how well it will run. I've just signed up for 7 on my Air.. I see that I have a secret key. How do I save it somewhere other then in Preferences? How do I know I'm running 7 on IOS and already 7 is suggesting passwords to update. Will those migrate to 6 on my MBP? it also told me to scan a barcode to my iOS devices.. do I have to do that?

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

I've added the account to my iOS devices and yes they were running 6. I have not deleted vaults. what happens when I I do that. what happens if I don't. I now have 2 of everything on everything but my MBP!

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

and now it looks like some of the logins are doubling on the MBP..

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

why are things doubling?

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

something to do with personal vault or iCloud primary.. I'm not sure what there difference is

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

so use one or the other then. I still have to delete the vault on the iOS devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

NEW. I've added the account to my iOS devices and yes they were running 6. I have not deleted vaults. what happens when I I do that. what happens if I don't?

@vmrdia: It sounds like you're referring to removing the original vault after migrating the data to your account. It's best to do that to avoid confusion. Otherwise you end up with two vaults which started out with the same data which diverge over time as you make changes.

I am afraid of upgrading because I have an early 2013 MBP and have concerns about how well it will run. I've just signed up for 7 on my Air..

1Password 7 will run on macOS Sierra or higher. It's best to upgrade macOS to the most recent version you can, since that not only allows you to stay up to date with 1Password, but also other software, and get important security improvements as well.

I see that I have a secret key. How do I save it somewhere other then in Preferences?

As Lars mentioned above, you should save your Emergency Kit somewhere safe in case you ever need it:

https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

How do I know I'm running 7 on IOS and already 7 is suggesting passwords to update. Will those migrate to 6 on my MBP?

If you save that information in your 1Password.com account, and you sign into that account on all of your devices, you'll be able to access your data on them.

it also told me to scan a barcode to my iOS devices.. do I have to do that?

You don't have to. You could certainly enter your account credentials manually to sign in on your device, as Lars suggested earlier:

https://support.1password.com/add-account/

I've added the account to my iOS devices and yes they were running 6. I have not deleted vaults. what happens when I I do that. what happens if I don't. I now have 2 of everything on everything but my MBP!

If you keep the original vault along with your 1Password.com account, which you copied that data to, you'll have two copies of everything in the app. That's why it's recommended to remove the original vault on your devices once you have your data in your account, as in the guide Lars directed you to before. This is part of setting up all your devices:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

and now it looks like some of the logins are doubling on the MBP.. why are things doubling?

Because you copied your data to the account and kept the original vault too.

something to do with personal vault or iCloud primary.. I'm not sure what there difference is

1Password.com does not use iCloud. The Primary vault is completely separate from your 1Password.com account. You don't need it once you have your data in your account.

so use one or the other then. I still have to delete the vault on the iOS devices?

We recommend doing that, yes. It doesn't sound like you want multiple vaults with the same data.

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

No.. and thanks = you've been patient. it's appreciated

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! And, hey, thanks for your patience as well. We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• vmrdia
    vmrdia
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again - one more question.. I eliminated the "personal" vault on my IOS devices and just have primary (iCloud) - no more doubles (personal said "imported from 1password 6 - so I'm guessing that was the right one to delete) BUT I still have 12 vaults on my new MB Air -- personal and iCloud, which one do I delete so that all will still sync with my older computer. I'm guessing "personal" but hope you can confirm that's the right thing to do

This discussion has been closed.