Latest update breaks Safair browser extension (e.g. it opens website)

Options
ejstembler
ejstembler
Community Member
edited November 2018 in Mac

1Password 7 just auto-updated on my Mac (Mojave 10.14) to version 7.2.2 (70202006). The Safari extension stopped working, I reinstalled it, but when I click on the button it opens the 1Password website instead of showing the 1Password window.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ejstembler
    ejstembler
    Community Member
    Options

In the main app, I clicked Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password Extension Helper. After that, I killed Safari and restarted it. Now the button is gone. I re-enabled the extension, which now shows as version 7.2.2. The button is back, but clicking it causes Safari to loose focus for 1 second, then Safari regains focus, and nothing else happens.

• ejstembler
    ejstembler
    Community Member
    Options

The issue has been circumvented. I bought a new Mac mini. After migrating everything from my older MacBook Pro, and re-enabling the Safari browser extension, it works now on the new Mac mini.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ejstembler! Glad to hear you were able to figure things out. The back-story is that Apple made significant changes to extensions in Safari 12. The older style .safariextz extensions that all of us have used for years have been deprecated in favor of Apple's newer format, Safari App Extensions. The older extensions still (for the moment) work in Safari 12, but we don't know for how much longer that will be the case. As a result, in 1Password 7 for Mac, starting with version 7.2, we switched from the older (4.7.3.90) .safariextz extension to the newer Safari App Extension. As you've noticed, it now has the same version number as the app itself. Sounds as if all you needed was a restart of Safari and or re-enabling the new extension. You should also remove the older one, if it still exists -- you won't need it and in fact cannot use it with version 7.2+ of 1Password for Mac in Safari. Chrome and Firefox are unaffected by this change, and still use the older 4.7.3.90 extension. Hope this helps! :)

• ejstembler
    ejstembler
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, that makes sense. Thanks for the explaination!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ejstembler - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help explain. Have a great weekend. :)

This discussion has been closed.