Can't get Touch ID to work

Options
equake3003
equake3003
Community Member

Touch ID on my MacBook Pro is working. But not with 1Password.
OS 10.14.1 (18B75)L
Does work with my iPhone XS.

I turned off both system Touch ID and 1Password Touch ID settings. I restarted and threw out the old versions and reinstalled !Password. I then turned on Touch ID. Still no option in 1 Password,

Ideas please. Thank you. I do appreciate the help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Touch ID on my new Mac book pro is not working.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@equake3003 - I'm sorry for the trouble. Did you recently migrate from a different user keychain (perhaps on another Mac)?

• equake3003
    equake3003
    Community Member
    Options

Yep. I had a bad screen on my MBPro so they replaced it. I backed it up on Time Machine and restored it to the new MBPro. I just noticed it wasn't syncing with Dropbox, just on my computer. It's odd because I had chosen Dropbox and the 1Password op file. However, my assistant fixed that so it is now syncing with Dropbox.

• equake3003
    equake3003
    Community Member
    Options

I am using v. 7.2.1 on OS 10.14.1 (18B75).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@equake3003 - thanks for the additional info. We've run into trouble with these in recent months because 1Password's use of the Secure Enclave Processor for our implementation of Touch ID. One of our developers, rudy, explains it in this post. The long and short of it is that if this affects you, you're going to need to get rid of that legacy, imported keychain, and let macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) create a new keychain for you. This will "reset" the broken parts of the interaction between the keychain and the Secure Enclave Processor, and you should be able to use Touch ID with 1Password again. We'll need to do this in the Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

WARNING - only do the following if you have made a FULL backup of your hard drive first; this will destroy all keychain data and re-create the keychain:

1. Open Terminal and enter this command: sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop
    2. Restart your Mac.

If I were you, I'd keep the moved keychain folder on your desktop or elsewhere for a while, just in case anything goes truly south. Let us know how that works for you.

• equake3003
    equake3003
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Lars, I officially hate 1Password7. I have done everything anyone has suggested and it still will not open with touch. I have restarted, sudo(ed), added new fingerprints, removed them. Turned stuff of and restarted and then on. I am at my wits end.

J

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@equake - I'm truly sorry to hear that the combination of us using the Secure Enclave Processor combined with you having to import a backed-up copy of your keychain has resulted in this issue for you, but I'm not sure what else to suggest. You may want to approach Apple with this, as this was (presumably, from your description) bad screen, and they're the only ones who may be able to address Secure Enclave issues directly. Before doing that, I'd make sure you really have, as you say, "done everything": make sure you've followed instructions exactly, make sure it's not something simple like not turning Touch ID back on after working with it, etc.

This discussion has been closed.