To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Switched from License to Membership and Password doesn't work

Options
jdnzgrma
jdnzgrma
Community Member

I purchased a license from the Mac App Store in 2015. I just got a new MacBook and ast night I tried to switch to the single membership account. I got verification of my account and a secret key, however, when I try to sign into my account my master password doesn't work. Even though I am typing it exactly as it was written on the printout when I set up the account. Can you help me resolve this so I can get into my account and use my membership account? I don't see 1PW in my applications. Do I need to download something again? IThank, Susan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• jdnzgrma
    jdnzgrma
    Community Member
    Options

Update. I have reloaded 1PW7 on my new MacBook and can open it with my old master password from my 6 version license. Now I have 2 vaults showing. A personal and a primary. They seem to be identical. Two questions now. 1) How to I get rid of the old primary vault (which is on iCloud) and 2) My password to get into my new single membership account doesn't work. I printed out the information I received when I paid that shows my password and my secret key. But when I try to sign in, it doesn't recognize my account password. Can anyone please help advise?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• jdnzgrma
    jdnzgrma
    Community Member
    Options

Two questions. 1) My password to get into my new single membership account doesn't work. I printed out the information I received when I paid that shows my password and my secret key. But when I try to sign in, it doesn't recognize my account password. Also, 2) How do I get rid of the old primary vault from my 2015 license (which is also on iCloud) showing up on my new Personal Vault in my new membership account. Can anyone please advise? Thank you.

1Password Version: 1PW&OS
    OS Version: OS 10.14.1
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdnzgrma - Sorry for the confusion! When you create a 1password.com account, you need to provide a Master Password for it. This can be but doesn't have to be the same one as you're already using in your standalone 1Password setup. When you add your account into the app where there's already an existing standalone vault (or you upgrade to version 7), a migration will take place automatically (from your old Primary vault to your new account's Personal or Private vault). At the end of that time, you'll be given the option to remove the older Primary vault. If you choose not to remove it, then you will have two vaults with duplicated contents.

Removing the older, now-redundant Primary vault is easy, and I'll give you the instructions in a moment. But before you go doing that, you should make sure you can access your 1password.com account. The best way to check that is to try signing into it in a browser (not the app). Open your preferred browser and head to https://my.1password.com and try using your email address, Secret Key and the Master Password you used when you signed up for the account. Can you get in? If so, then return to 1Password 7 for Mac and open Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove your older Primary vault and leave you running only your 1password.com account (which is what you want). Then, make sure you remove the Primary vault on any other devices you use 1Password on as well, or you'll have the same problem there also.

If you can't sign into 1password.com in a browser, let me know.

• jdnzgrma
    jdnzgrma
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much Lars for responding. I have tried repeatedly to sign in at https://mypassword.com using Safari and it tells me that either my email, secret key or password is not correct. I have double checked all and I am typing them in correctly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdnzgrma: You can't sign into 1Password.com in your browser -- into your 1Password account -- using the Master Password for the local (Primary) vault in the app if you've set different Master Passwords for each. You will need to enter the Master Password you setup for your account during signup in order to sign into that account on the website.

• jdnzgrma
    jdnzgrma
    Community Member
    Options

Yes - I did use a different password than my Master Password when I set up my new account. This new password I set up does not open my account. I have tried opening it through the app and also from my browser (Safari) which Lars referenced in the post above. (Open your preferred browser and head to https://my.1password.com and try using your email address, Secret Key and the Master Password you used when you signed up for the account. Can you get in?). Bottom line - the new password I set up for my new membership account does not work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdnzgrma: I'm sorry to hear that. Then either you're physically typing it incorrectly, or it's some input discrepancy (for example, a different keyboard language/layout, or encoding differences between OSes). The only thing we can do on our end if you are not able to enter the credentials needed to sign in is help you delete it and start over with a new account. If you'd like to do that, please send an email to sales@1password.com from the account's registered address and we'll go from there. I'd encourage you to try any passwords/variations you might have used though, as that could save you the trouble. The tips in this guide may be helpful:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdnzgrma: I merged the second discussion you created here as well. I also noticed something about what you said earlier:

I printed out the information I received when I paid that shows my password and my secret key.

In case it helps clear things up, your Master Password will not be printed in your Emergency Kit; you would have had to have written it there yourself. So if you were looking at something else, that might explain the difficulty you've been having.

• jdnzgrma
    jdnzgrma
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the confusion. What I printed out was information from the Preferences section in my 1PW7 app. I even took a picture of it with my phone showing the username, password and secret key so I would be sure to have everything correct. At this point, I would like to go ahead and have you help me delete this account and set up a new one. It is late here in CA so I will email in the morning if that is okay. Thanks again for your help and patience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdnzgrma: No worries. I just wanted to make sure we weren't overlooking anything. But to be clear, your Master Password would not be displayed in the app either. Secure Input fields always mask it like ••••. Give it a fresh look in the morning, and shoot us an email if you just need to start over. :)

• MacBernac
    MacBernac
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot get Master Password to work on my new iPad. Works on my iPhone and Mac, but even tho I enter my scanned info, which has my Secret Key, my MP doesn't work. Paid for a yearly subscription and would appreciate any help. Frustrated and disappointed. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MacBernac: I'm sorry to hear that, but we didn't choose your Master Password and don't know what it is. Keep in mind that you'll need to use the Master Password you setup when creating your account. This could be different from what you've been using to unlock the app, if you've been using 1Password without an account: the app will unlock with the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup in it; your account can only be signed into using the Master Password you set when you signed up. If you've forgotten it, we can't bail you out. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.

This discussion has been closed.