Is it possible to log in without SECRET KEY?

JohnT
JohnT
Community Member

I've been using 1password for a long time, before memberships and so I don't have an account nor SECRET KEY. After I deleted the 1password app on my old iPhone and tried to log in to my 1password app installed on my new iPhone, I realized that a SECRET KEY is now required. Is there a way old customers can still log in to recover their 1password data?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @JohnT

A Secret Key is only required when selecting the option to sign in to a 1Password.com account (which you'll only have if you have a subscription membership). If you do not have a subscription membership please scroll down on the welcome screen to see the other options available.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• JohnT
    JohnT
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. however, none of the other options (iCould, Dropbox, WLAN Server) applied to my situation since I've already deleted the 1password on my old phone without backups. Now, i only have the email address and master password associated with my 1password. Could you please let me know how to get back all my password stored in the 1password app?

• @JohnT

If that is true then you've unfortunately deleted what sounds to be the only copy of your 1Password data. When using 1Password without a subscription membership your data is by default stored only on your device. Erasing the 1Password app from your device erases the 1Password data on the device as well.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like your data is going to be unrecoverable unless you've synced it with iCloud or Dropbox.

Ben

• JohnT
    JohnT
    Community Member

Just to be clear:
    1. The 1password app on my old iPhone was deleted without backups.
    2. I still remember the email address and master password associated with my 1password.
    3. A new 1password has been download from App store on my new iPhone.

Can I get access to my account on the new 1password installed on my new iPhone? Thanks

• Not unless you had backed up or synced your data, unfortunately not.

Ben

• Randad
    Randad
    Community Member

I have 1 Password on my tablet and my computer. I cannot load on my new phone. Do I need to have a membership? I will be glad to become a member if I can get some help with this. Is there a way to talk to a tech rep on the phone? I really need 1 Password on my new phone.

• Randad
    Randad
    Community Member

How do I find my Secret Key. I don't believe I have ever known mine. It looks like I need it to load 1 Password on my new phone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Randad: It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

While a membership is the best way to use 1Password going forward, if you didn't have a 1Password.com membership already, and never stored your data in that account, signing up for one now will not retroactively allow you to recover data. A new account will have nothing in it until you save something there.

• Randad
    Randad
    Community Member

OK. I need some help. I have a license and want to get a prescription account with a family plan. How do I do this? I want to make sure that the vaults I have been using with my license account are included in my new prescription account.

• You can learn about how to do that here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

:)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.