Fill out password prompt / pop up / pop down / ?

Options

I don't know how this thing is called but for some of my firm's internal pages, chrome (or any other browser) prompt for a password, but as a sort of pop up, that “pops down” from the top of the web page. Is there a way for 1password to fill this out?

So far I can only save the password manually in the browser but it's annoying because I have to change my password on a regular basis, thus making the saved passwords in the browser obsolete quite regularly... (and also, I don't like saving passwords in my browser, from a security point of view)

I'm sure this has been asked already a lot, I can't find it though, probably because I don't know the name of this “pop down” and thus can't search with the correct keyword.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaz219
    kaz219
    Community Member
    Options

Shameless bump. Anyone?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @kaz219,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier and thank you for nudging us.

It sounds like you're describing a basic auth prompt which isn't part of the page and is displayed by the browser prior to the page being loaded at all. The companion extension that works with 1Password for Mac/Windows can't interact with prompt I'm afraid and so in that situation you would be limited to copy and paste or in the case of 1Password 7 for Mac you can also drag and drop.

If you have a 1Password account and use the 1Password X extension though it does some sort of trickery where if you use open-and-fill and have the extension load the page it authenticates in the background - I don't know the precise details. I believe this should work on both Firefox and Chrome.

I used to have one page I would use with a relative degree of frequency where I saved the password in my goto browser and any others I would use drag and drop. It isn't great and in some ways I'm surprised basic auth prompts are still a thing. They do still seem to be used though.

• kaz219
    kaz219
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me, I'll stick to copy pasting then. I agree this type of authentication is outdated though.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you run into any other issues please let us know, hopefully whatever you find has a more successful? outcome in contrast to the story that is basic auth prompts.

The ? is because successful doesn't quite feel right but the right word is eluding me at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.