How do I transfer one of my vaults to another account?

Options

I have been managing passwords in a different vault under my account for a client for use when I'm in his office. He finally agreed to open a 1Password online account and I would like to transfer the vault I'm using in my account to his account. I do not see any way to export the data or invoke Dropbox syncing under the new 1Password scheme.

How do I transfer a single vault to a different account?

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1PW account
Referrer: forum-search:transfer to different account

Comments

• @Nazbuster: You won't be able to transfer it to a different account directly, but there are a few options that could work here. If you have a Family, Team or Business account, you can temporarily invite him as a guest and share the vault with him so he can sign in to his app with that guest account and transfer the items over to his account. If y'all are going to continue sharing any passwords in that vault for a time, you may actually want to keep him as a guest until you no longer need access to those items, then he can move the data and keep it for himself once you're done with it.

If you use an individual account and thus can't invite a guest, you can do this via Dropbox as well. Choose 1Password > New Vault on this PC and set up a new standalone vault. Move the items to that vault and share it with him via Dropbox. Keep in mind he'll need access to the Dropbox account storing this vault in order to use it. If you need to share the vault, that can make this method a bit sticky, but if you simply need to pass it along to him and don't need access to it, I'd recommend having him move that vault to his own Dropbox to open it and move those items to his account, just to prevent any issues with syncing down the line.

If possible, I'd recommend the guest route, but regardless of what you choose, I'm happy to help along the way if you need it. :chuffed:

• Nazbuster
    Nazbuster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. We don’t have a need for a family or team account. I’ll create a local copy and put it in his Dropbox or on a usb drive to transfer it. What’s the procedure to load it into his cloud account?

• Nazbuster
    Nazbuster
    Community Member
    Options

I've loaded a "Vault on This PC" into my Dropbox folder which I can access at his office, but I notice the actual DATA is in the APPDATA folder for 1PW. Should I copy the contents over to dropbox and then back to HIS Appdata folder to accomplish loading the data into his 1PW account?

Or is all this to be done on the target PC? I can access my account at his office and create a local vault there into which I copy his items. I'm not clear of how to proceed from there while logged into his account to get the data into an online 1PW status within his account.

Can you help clarify the process?

• @Nazbuster: You're on the right track. Since you can access that Dropbox folder from his PC, everything else can be done there. If he wants this somewhere other than in one of his existing vaults, have him create a vault for this data first. He can then import it to into his account:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password > Import.
    3. Select AgileKeychain or OPVault folder.
    4. Click "Select folder" and navigate to the 1Password.opvault folder on your Dropbox in Explorer.
    5. Enter the vault's password where indicated, then choose the proper vault to import into from the dropdown menu.
    6. Click import.

And that's it. He won't need the folder on Dropbox any longer, so you can get rid of it, if you want. :+1:

• Nazbuster
    Nazbuster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. All loaded!

Appreciate the help.

• No problem at all, @Nazbuster! Be sure to tell your client welcome to the family and, of course, we're at his (and your) disposal should y'all need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.