Family account, trouble providing Guest access

CrossFilms
CrossFilms
Community Member

Hello,
My wife and I have been sharing a Family account for over a year and it has worked great. Now I am trying to set up Guest access for my mother.

Started by setting her up an account on 1Password.com. I believe we went through all the right steps: Added her email address, she received the invitation, I confirmed it. Designated her account as "Guest" access on a certain vault. But no matter what we try, that vault and the test login items I've set up won't show up in her account.

I went back and read through the tutorial and it looks like we have done everything right, but can't figure out what the trouble is. Tips please?

Thanks,
-m

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CrossFilms: Is there anything different you did than what you see in this guide?

https://support.1password.com/guests/

"Designated her account as "Guest" access on a certain vault." sounds like you're trying to set the account type to "guest" after the fact, and that's not possible.

Keep in mind that the account setup will need to be completed before any vaults will be accessible to it. Let me know what you find.

• CrossFilms
    CrossFilms
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Thanks for your response. I did read that article before, and reread it just now.

I believe I followed the steps in the correct order – I believe I added her as a guest before trying to sharing a vault with her as a guest.

However, this part is still not clear: I think you saying that my mother cannot have already have had a 1Password account before adding her as a guest to my account. Is that true? If so, that is not clear in the support article, and does not make much sense logically (as the example the article mentions of an accountant needing my financial information would likely also need access to multiple clients' 1Password guest vaults, right?)

So would my mother need to delete her 1Password account completely before I can add her as a guest? If so, it seems that would erase her private vault and the items within.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CrossFilms: You're on the right track, but not quite. The account type is determined by the invitation you send. If you invite someone as a guest, the account they create with that invitation will be a guest account. A guest account has access to only a single vault you share with them. But as I mentioned, they will not have access at all until signup is completed. I'm not sure I understand the confusion there since this is a binary choice, as illustrated in the guide:

Invite a guest
    1. Sign in to your account on the 1Password website.
    2. Click Invitations in the sidebar.
    3. Click the Invite button, then enter the email addresses of the guests you want to invite.
    4. Choose Guest from the menu, then click Invite.

But I'd love to hear any suggestions you have for how we might be able to make it clearer for you and others.

It sounds like maybe you've sent your mother two invites, and maybe had her sign up for two accounts: one as a regular family member, and another as a guest. Is that the case?If so, the part I'm confused about is why you're inviting her again, if she already has an account, since you seem to indicate she's already got data stored in it:

So would my mother need to delete her 1Password account completely before I can add her as a guest? If so, it seems that would erase her private vault and the items within.

She can certainly have both a regular family member account and a guest account, but I'm not sure how that would be beneficial, and that would probably cause some confusion for her. I would certainly be confused, having multiple accounts in the same 1Password Families plan.

• CrossFilms
    CrossFilms
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

Yes, I get the binary choice, and we went through that whole process as I mentioned. She did not have a 1Password Families plan, just an existing individual account. I have a Families plan and tried to invite her as a Guest. I believe we went through all the right steps: Added her email address to my Family account as a Guest, she received the invitation, I confirmed it. But no matter what we tried, that vault and the test login items I've set up would not show up in her account.

Update: The only thing that worked was deleting her account completely (which deleted the logins she had already created in her own vault), then I sent her the Guest invitation again. That is what finally worked. And that is super frustrating that apparently deleting her existing account is what it took to get it to work. It's also frustrating that I reached out to 1Password Support 3 days ago (including their "Urgent Support") and still haven't received any response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

The only thing that worked was deleting her account completely (which deleted the logins she had already created in her own vault), then I sent her the Guest invitation again. That is what finally worked. And that is super frustrating that apparently deleting her existing account is what it took to get it to work.

@CrossFilms: Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you were able to get her account setup and share with her. It's hard to say what the problem might have been without more details. My best guess is that setup was not completed on her end, or she was not confirmed on yours. I'm sorry for the difficulty you had though. We'll see if we can make it easier in the future.

It's also frustrating that I reached out to 1Password Support 3 days ago (including their "Urgent Support") and still haven't received any response.

That's simply not true. I've been replying to you here all along. I think it would be an inefficient use of your time and mine to try to have the same conversation in multiple places at ones -- and potentially add to the confusion and frustration you're having in the process, since that would also slow down response times for everyone, including you.

ref: FNF-31761-676

This discussion has been closed.