Looking for the locations of the backup files.

Options

I am maintaining my vault on my own storage and I want to make sure that I am backing up the correct data? When i look at the backups under settings - backups, I don't see a backup for each day the vault is opened? most days I am entering or editing data and I only see backup files about every 2-4 days?The most recent backup was on the 12th of November and now I see a second backup for today. There were several additions of login passwords added between the 12th and today. Also I notice that the backups are being stored on the local machine and I would really like to have them on a cloud server. I am synchronizing from Dropbox and don't see anything in the backup folder on Dropbox. There were a number of backup files on Dropbox before I upgraded to the newest version but no backups since I upgraded???

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10 - 1803
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Dr_Agileup77
    Dr_Agileup77
    Community Member
    Options

Also request to know where the backup files are locally on my MAC for subscribers who have the 1Password Family Sharing cloud service with 1Pasword7. Thank you.

• @wgale2760: Right now, your backups folder is local and a backup is created once per day when you first make a change. So, that 11/12 backup was created after the first change you made on that date. Same goes for 11/14, but it would have also captured any subsequent changes you made on 11/12. Previously, backups were made to the same Dropbox folder where your vault lives, but since many folks use free Dropbox account with limited space, we changed that later on to keep them in your 1Password folder. You can, of course, backup your backups remotely if you'd like and we do have plans to introduce a customizable backup location as well as controls for frequency of backups and manually creating a backup. Since that isn't configurable right now, though, we had to be mindful of available space. There are, after all, Windows laptops with less hard drive space than an iPhone out there.

@Dr_Agileup77, you won't have any local backups in the strictest sense. 1Password.com accounts have a fair bit of redundancy built into them. You have a local database on each of your devices to facilitate offline access and, of course, your data is backed up automatically to 1Password.com. You also have Item History at your disposal if you need to roll back time on a single item and we keep daily backups of the 1Password.com servers for disaster recovery purposes.

For standalone vaults, local backups make a lot of sense. Things like ransomware could potentially take away your access even to your remote data on Dropbox with a standalone vault and item history isn't available so to get an old version of an item back or restore a deleted item that was emptied from the trash, a local backup is necessary. With 1Password.com, your remote data isn't vulnerable to local attacks like ransomware and item history eliminates the need to restore a backup to recover an item.

We do understand some folks still want a local backup and are considering how that might fit into the existing system, but for the vast majority of people, the redundancy build into 1Password.com should be more than adequate. In order to have no path to recovery, you'd need to lose access to your data on every device you own and we'd need to have trouble with 1Password.com at the exact same time. The likelihood of such an occurrence is so astronomically low, it's unlikely to be worthy of losing any sleep over.

• Dr_Agileup77
    Dr_Agileup77
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. So what I hear is if a customer has only 1Password 7 (online account only) then there is no files backed up within our stand alone Apple Mac like there used to be before the paid subscription?

If so, then for a very redundant backup the only way is to export all the items into a pdf or excel with the Export option with 1Password?

I understand if this is done, we'd have to protect this non-encrypted file i.e. in an encrypted jump drive within a fire/gun safe etc etc

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you. So what I hear is if a customer has only 1Password 7 (online account only) then there is no files backed up within our stand alone Apple Mac like there used to be before the paid subscription?

@Dr_Agileup77: As Kate mentioned, 1Password still has a local copy of the data. That's no different than previously. And I'm not sure I'd rely on a backup stored on the same device anyway. If something happens to 1Password there, or the device itself, it's all gone anyway.

If so, then for a very redundant backup the only way is to export all the items into a pdf or excel with the Export option with 1Password?

No. As Kate mentioned, the server has redundant, versioned backups. That's how it's possible to restore deleted items, or earlier versions of them.

I understand if this is done, we'd have to protect this non-encrypted file i.e. in an encrypted jump drive within a fire/gun safe etc etc

You can certainly do that, but if something happens to your home that would likely be wiped out along with your devices. Your data automatically backed up offsite in your 1Password.com account would be unaffected though, and you'd just need to sign into your account to get your data back -- even if all your devices were lost, stolen, or destroyed.

This discussion has been closed.