To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret key download failed after opening account at 1Password.com

nkkmp
nkkmp
Community Member

I’ve been using Dropbox sync with a Mac, iOS and Android since 2009. Finally decided to move to the subscription family plan and get my wife, finally, in on the joys of using 1Password and set up a new iPad with an updated version of 1Password.

I read through the info about migrating from an old vault and so opened an account at 1Password.com. Using the new iPad, registration successful, clicked on link to download emergency kit/secret key. Then an error message from iOS saying unable to download. One step back, but it was a done deal, download failed. So now I don’t have the secret key and not sure how to move forward.

Could the problem be that I had already downloaded the app from the App Store but not completed the registration there?

Any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nkkmp
    nkkmp
    Community Member

Read some older threads and found the secret key when logged in to my account in 1password.com. iPad can’t download files like the emergency kit.
    Now I need to figure out what my sign in address is...

• nkkmp
    nkkmp
    Community Member

Pain in the butt trying to do all this on an iPad. Gonna wait and do this whole procedure on a real computer tomorrow where I can download the emergency kit.

• nkkmp
    nkkmp
    Community Member

Problem is solved. A real computer helps immensely. :)

• nkkmp
    nkkmp
    Community Member

I've been using 1Password with Dropbox sync since 2009 and finally moving to the subscription model. It's taken me a few years to accept that the world has moved to subscription models, took a while but here we go.

I opened a new family account on 1Password.com and want to migrate my old vault which I use at the moment exclusively on my Android phone and is Dropbox synced(used to be synced with a Mac and an iOS device). I want to then use the new account to set up a Mac and an iPad additionally. The Mac no longer has 1Password right now and the iPad is new.

I've read the instructions on how to do it but I'm still not clear from where I should do this. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

As far as I understood I log in to 1Password.com in my new account and then click on add new vault. Does it matter from which device I do this? From the Android phone which has my currently in use 1Password, Dropbox synced. On Dropbox there are right now two files, one .agilekeychain and one .opvault, if it matters.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm just a little nervous about getting this right, the thought of losing access to my passwords gives me the cold sweats. :)

1Password Version: Android
    Extension Version: 7.0.7
    OS Version: Android
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• @nkkmp

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear yougot it sorted. For what it's worth -- the Emergency Kit is a PDF file which an iPad should be able to open. If it can't there may be an issue with the iPad.

If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• @nkkmp

What this also resolved as per your other thread? https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/98519/secret-key-download-failed-after-opening-account-at-1password-com#latest
    Or do you still need assistance with this?

Please let us know.

Ben

• nkkmp
    nkkmp
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, all good now. After rereading the instructions and a few other older threads got it all done. Actually all the info is there, it seemed to take me a while to get my head wrapped around it.
    What didn’t help was the error message on the iPad that it was unable to download the emergency kit. But I’m happy now, up to date on all three devices.
    Great support here though, thanks!

• nkkmp
    nkkmp
    Community Member

Thanks, all good now.

• Great. Thanks @nkkmp. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.