To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

2 Secret Keys!?? What now??

sungoku7777
sungoku7777
Community Member

Hello! I signed up for a free trial I'm still under and started saving all my passwords. I decided to start a second vault under the same account (mine) for my fiancé. However, when I did that it gave me a different secret key. I switched over all my devices (or at least I thought I did) to the new key even though I wasn't sure why 1Password asked me to do that. Today, my iPhone logged me out and asked for the master password but still had my original secret key in place.

Can someone help me understand why I have two secret keys and which one to use at this point? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@sungoku7777

Did you start a Family trial ? Each account in the family will have its own secret key. So if you have one account under your email you have a key and if you have one under her email you would have a different secret key. Each user is intended to have their own account, this helps when of if people get locked out. The admin can help the user recover their account.

I have also seen it where people accidentally started a second trial.

Maybe some of the above will give you food for though and maybe yield some insight. However since its account specific, I am afraid I do not have the ability to help troubleshoot. All I can do is give hints and pointers. I am after all a user just like yourself.

The staff will be along in due time. They can help you trouble shoot in more detail.

• Hey @sungoku7777, I'm sorry for the trouble with your account! As @thightower mentioned, each member of a Family account would get their own Secret Key, however creating a second vault in your account would not give you a new Secret Key. In order to figure out what exactly happened, we'll need to talk account specifics - so let's continue the discussion over email. Could you send us an email to support+forum@1password.com? Please include a link to this forum thread, and reply here with your Support ID that you'll receive in an automated email. That'll help us connect the dots.

This discussion has been closed.