Feature Request: Skip to login by first letter

tgriff
tgriff
Community Member

1Password list logins alphabetically, with a letter as the section header for all logins that start with that letter. I'd like it if that header worked like the section headers in a Windows 10 start menu application list, where clicking on the letter presents all available letters, and then clicking on one of those letters takes you to the section starting with that letter. For example, I would click on "A", be shown a table or grid with A-Z, click on "U" and skip directly to my (for example) Uber and UPS logins.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:find login

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's an interesting idea. Not sure there's a native way to do that on macOS, so it would potentially be a lot of work and have issues, creating custom controls. But it's something we can consider for the future if others are interested.

• tgriff
    tgriff
    Community Member

Thanks for the info @brenty. Perhaps an easier solution would be an option to change the search functionality from "contains" to "starts with". Currently, if I type "U" in the search, it filters to include logins that contain "u" rather than just those that start with "u". I'm ultimately looking for some way to quickly skip down the list of logins.

• We are looking at some ways we can improve search, so perhaps something like that could be incorporated. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Ben

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

@tgriff " Currently, if I type "U" in the search, it filters to include logins that contain "u" rather than just those that start with "u". I'm ultimately looking for some way to quickly skip down the list of logins."

Thats great idea.
    What do you mean by skip down the list of logins?

• I believe they are referring to a system similar to that of iOS where the alphabet is listed alongside the list of items and clicking/tapping on one of the letters of the alphabet takes you to the items that have titles starting with that letter.

Ben

• tgriff
    tgriff
    Community Member

Right. I'd like to click/tap once or twice to move to a section in the list of logins instead of scrolling through the list.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's how 1Password or iOS works. If we can find a reliable way to do that on Windows, I'm all for it. :)

ref: opw/opw#3570

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tgriff: After looking into this, it's not really feasible currently, and would be low priority anyway due to the relatively low benefit. Maybe someday if everything goes to UWP this will happen, but it isn't something we're likely to build from scratch ourselves for a limited number of users. In case it helps though, if you Tab to the item list, you can use the keyboard to quickly jump to a specific letter. Cheers! :)

• tgriff
    tgriff
    Community Member

Thanks for the update @brenty. And that workaround gives me the functionality I was looking for - click on the list, then type a letter. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that helped! Sorry for not mentioning it earlier. I actually wasn't aware of it originally. :)

This discussion has been closed.