Upgrade and transition to Teams all at the same time...

Options

I moved from v6 stand-alone, but synced, to Team/Cloud. In a flurry of dialogs, it appears that I uploaded my "On My Mac" vault to a "Private" vault that appears under the team header in my list of vaults.

There's three things.

1) Can I safely delete the Primary vault on my mac, or, better, archive it somewhere? And then have it not show up, because duplicates.
2) Having done that, should I leave the team, is there an easy way to migrate my Private vault back to me.
3) As part of the migration I have about 15 new entries that are files that were (and still are) attachments to other entries. Is that a consequence of going from v6 to v7? Is there any documentation on that? I"m not sure if it's safe to delete the standalone file entries.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leehinde: I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do, so while I can answer your questions, take that with a grain of salt and let me know the specifics if they're relevant. I'd encourage you to hold off on doing anything until we're on the same page. :)

1) Can I safely delete the Primary vault on my mac, or, better, archive it somewhere? And then have it not show up, because duplicates.

If you have all of your data in your 1Password account (Personal/Private vault), then it is safe to remove the Primary: disable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced. Note that even when you do that, 1Password will still have local backups of that vault, in case you change your mind.

2) Having done that, should I leave the team, is there an easy way to migrate my Private vault back to me.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. But if you're trying to move your data to another 1Password account, that's easily done via the right-click menu.

3) As part of the migration I have about 15 new entries that are files that were (and still are) attachments to other entries. Is that a consequence of going from v6 to v7? Is there any documentation on that? I"m not sure if it's safe to delete the standalone file entries.

If you're referring to Attachments which are files you've added to other items, those are only present in local vaults. 1Password.com vaults use Documents, which are separate items, for uploaded files.

• leehinde
    leehinde
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Hmm, sorry if I was confusing. It was clear to me. :-)

1) It appears I everything migrated when I joined the team account. So, I'll uncheck that option in Advanced. Although the second line is confusing (Now I can unlock 1Password with 1Password.) But I'll play with that and see.

2) I had one vault in all my years as a private 1Password user. All that data is now in a vault labeled "Private" on your servers. All of that data is personal -i.e, not related to the Team. For shared data, new shared vaults have been created. I'm wondering if I were to leave this organization (i.e., I'm not in the team anymore) would I retain access to my Private vault.

3) Thanks. That describes what I was asking about.

• rob
    Options

I'm wondering if I were to leave this organization (i.e., I'm not in the team anymore) would I retain access to my Private vault.

No, you would not. The Private vault in a team account, while private to you, is owned by the team. It should only be used for items like a team email account or other things that are owned by the team but operated solely by you.

For personal items, you should maintain your own personal vault outside the team account. Note that if your team subscribes to the business plan, every team member gets a free family account to use for personal items. In that case, when you left the team, you would have to begin paying for the family account, but you would not lose access to the data inside.

This discussion has been closed.