1P 7 Beta Mini - breaks the (CLI) workflow :-( any idea if it will return?

Options
sjcjonker
sjcjonker
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi 1P support hero's,

For years I have been using 1P 6 with a large number of server entries; I have a global hotkey to show 1P Mini and then without using a mouse I can type the server name or parts of it. Then I do cmd-shift-C and I used to get the value of the first password field in the server entry.

With 1P 7 Beta it seems to always take the second field in the server entry? The server template I have is somewhat "larger" then the default:

• Description
  • IP
  • hostname
  • username
  • password
  • etc
  • etc

The first fields are all marked as text, the "password" field is set as password.

Is there a chance this comes back in 1P 7 as I wouldn't want to reshuffle a large number of server entries to have the password as second field :-) In principle I believe it makes sense to have the old behaviour back that cmd-shift-C is copying the first password field, but maybe there is an other philosophy behind it?

Thx,
Stijn

1Password Version: 7Beta 1, 3 and 6 tried
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sjcjonker - I'm not certain why that worked for you in 1Password 6 for Mac, because as far as I can tell, it shouldn't have. When using the keyboard shortcuts, each one is coded with certain expectations and assumptions (otherwise they likely wouldn't work at all). In certain 1Password item categories (Login, Password, Credit Card, a few others), there are custom fields in the top three spaces; everything else is in Sections -- and users can add their own new fields there as well.

But the keyboard shortcuts are bound to the top three "custom" fields in the records that are most often used in that way. For example, Memberships wouldn't typically have a password associated with them, and therefore they don't have the custom fields for password in the way that Login items do. Even in my own login items, there are a few sites which still have security questions, and I'll typically use a password field for those as well...so a given Login record might have four or five "passwords"...but only one of them is my real password for the site, the others are answers to security questions. 1Password "knows" which one I'm mostly likely to want to copy by shortcut because it will be the password that's in the custom fields at the top, not any of the password items I created as answers to the security questions.

Have you experimented with this? If you actually DO switch a password field for a Server entry, does it work for you?

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

I'm not sure why it works; but when using 1Password 6 it copies the password field, whether it's in the normal position or lower on the the item/screen. However in 1P7 Beta it's grabbing what seems to be the second field.

What I did notice on an other ask to Agilebits, but then more on the sales front if I print the server entry there is a first field shown "password" which doesn't show in the app. If I can mimic / force this in 1P 7 then "my" problem would be solved I guess.

Honestly not sure why the first field is shown, due to the remark to not use both 1P6 and 1P7B at the same time the switch is a bit awkward with the cleanup required for switching between 6 and 7 as they sync, but don't seem to use the same ondisk storage as it seems.

Stijn

• Hey there @sjcjonker. We did a little reworking of the keyboard shortcuts in 1Password 7. Can you try control + ⌘ + shift + C and tell me if that works for you?

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MrRooni,

Thanks; I assume this is in Beta 7 which is slightly delayed due to the updater+little snitch issues? As I previously tested with Beta6 and there it didn't work yet :-(. Nevertheless I tried again, but as there is one binary I guess I'm too fast?

Thx,
    Stijn

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sjcjonker

I tested this against beta 7 but it doesn't seem to work the way that you've described in this thread for me (or, at all). Please let me know if your experience is different.

Ben

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member
    Options

When one raises an issue, one should report back when fixed as well :-)

This one in 7.2.2 is a lifesaver for me, when I saw it in the release notes I made the jump from 6 to 7 :+1:
    Command-Shift-C will now always copy an item’s password. This restores behavior that existed prior to the 1Password 7 update. {apple-issues#1429}

Case closed!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sjcjonker - I'm so glad to hear this resolved the issue for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.