Feature Request - Use settings from Password Generator when generating password for login

I'm really enjoying 1Password and it has basically everything I'm looking for. One thing that I would like to see when using the extension is that it uses the settings I have in the extension when it's creating passwords for logins. Right now I have it set to not use symbols but it still does when generating a password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kellyk: It sounds like maybe you're using 1Password X, and confusing the Suggested Passwords feature with the Password Generator. You can customize the settings of the latter, use it to fill a new password, and it will also remember your last settings each time you use it. But Suggested Passwords is designed to use sane defaults that are both strong and compatible with most websites.

• kellyk
    kellyk
    Community Member

@brenty Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It makes sense what is trying to be accomplished with that. But it's a little confusing since the context menu on a form field says "Password Generator" and in the extension it's also called "Password Generator" but doesn't show a password with my selected settings.

For the feature request then, can we have two options to choose from on form fields, one that says "Suggested Password" that uses 1Password's sane defaults, and one called "Based on Your Settings" that would adhere to the settings saved in the extension? This way the use can choose which one they would like to use?

Reason I ask is that for some silly reason, there still are a lot of services that will not accept certain (or any) symbol characters in passwords.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@kellyk: Hmm. I see what you mean. It does say "Suggested Password":

But you're right that the menu item is different:

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but I'll bring this up with the team. It can definitely be a bit of a hassle to deal with strange password restrictions, and we'll see if there are some changes we can make to help with that. Thank you for bringing this up! :)

ref: x/b5x#691

This discussion has been closed.