masterpassword suddenly stoped working on all devices

Options

Hi
I have standalone latest version of 1password. My sync go in dropbox. Using Windows 10 and IOS iPad apps. Everything was OK for years. Until today...

Today I warking as usual, typing my masterpassword few times during the day. It worked just as always. Then I started installing ESET Nod32 Internet Security on my PC. On last stage I tryed to open 1password to copy some information and ...my masterpassword was not accepted! I tried typing again and again - nothing. Uninstalled NOD32 , reinstalled 1password app, restored Windows system back dew days - nothing helps. Also I can only log in to my IOS 1password only with my fingerprint. It also does't accept masterpwassword! So I even can't change it. Also I can't use IOS version to export my logins and other or do someting else.

I've read all FAQ and tried to use 1password backups - it doesn't help! Not opening backup from few days ago, or even month ago.

All my passwords, licenses and other stuff are in 1password vault! Help me please! I'm afraid to loose everything! It will ruin me

Thank you
Evgeny

1Password Version: 4.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro, IOS 12
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• EvgenyB
    EvgenyB
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. I've found out how to help my self:

1. I deleted old Vault on PC so my iPad now write me that he lost vault and will not sync further. And just keep my data localy on it.
    2. Created new Vault2 on PC
    3. Added this new Vault2 also on iPad
    4. Copied all my local iPad 1Password's data to this new Vault2

I'm glad I'm fine now, but... Only iPad and fingerprints saved me. Otherwise I would lost all my licenses (1 password Lic too), all my complicated passwords that I do not hold in my mind, andalso my work too. It would hardly ruin my life.

So now i'm thinkning on some other way to backup my data. Because as I saw now - 1password backups will not help me. And also that this 1Password can bring me such "surprise". Not ready to take such risk in future.

Take care of your data, folk. Don't trust all eggs to one basket.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EvgenyB,

I am glad to hear you were able to restore access to your data!

Since 1Password doesn't automatically change or reset your Master Password, I am not sure what happened on your side. If you want us to investigate this situation, please share the Diagnostics Reports from your Windows PC and iPad, so we could take a closer look at your current setup.

If you want to have an additional backup plan, please take a look at a family account on 1Password.com. This way you will be able to add a second family organizer and they will be able to restore your access to your account:

About family organizers in 1Password Families

If you have any other questions, please feel free to raise them in your reply. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So now i'm thinkning on some other way to backup my data. Because as I saw now - 1password backups will not help me. And also that this 1Password can bring me such "surprise". Not ready to take such risk in future.

@EvgenyB: That's incorrect. 1Password saves periodic backups of local vaults, so unless your hard drive is corrupted, or you've forgotten your Master Password, you'd be able to restore from a backup of, say, a few days ago, and use your Master Password there, even if the vault later became damaged on your computer. We can't, unfortunately, prevent you or your other software from hosing your 1Password data and/or backups.

Take care of your data, folk. Don't trust all eggs to one basket.

I agree. You should always have backups, but more importantly offsite backups. Otherwise whatever sad fate befell your computer could also spell doom for your backups there, or on a USB- or NAS-connected drive. Better safe than sorry.

This discussion has been closed.