To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Having both Personal & Business vaults

Options
Rabbit32
Rabbit32
Community Member

I currently have a personal 1Password subscription. I use it for a single vault that I access from my personal iPhone, iPad, and Mac. I'm running the latest official 1Password releases on all my personal devices.

Note that my iPhone is also used for work, to communicate via email, texting, voice calls, and FaceTime with business colleagues.

If my employer were to purchase a Teams, Business, or Enterprise subscription:

1. Would I be able to simply add 1 (or more) new Teams/Business vaults into the existing 1Password app on my iPhone?

2. Would I use a different master password for my work vault(s)?

3. Would it be possible to be "logged in" to both my personal vault and my work vault(s) simultaneously, so opening the app and using Face ID would authenticate me to all my vaults?

4. Would it be quick and easy to switch between vaults on my iPhone?

5. Would there be any risk of reduced personal vault functionality or information "leakage" from my person vault to a work vault?

Thanks, Scott

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Rabbit32,

Thanks for numbering your points, Scott - it's always a pleasure!

1. Absolutely, you can have multiple accounts signed in to 1Password.
    2. The Master Password you choose is up to you, but your iPhone would continue to unlock using the first account added to your device. So in your case, you would continue to unlock 1Password using the Master Password for your personal 1Password account - and both accounts would be available to you.
    3. You bet! That is exactly how it works. :chuffed: You can view all items from all of your vaults using the 'All Vaults' option too.
    4. It sure is, in the top left you will see the icon for the vault you're currently using. You simply tap the icon, choose another vault (or All vaults) and you're now in another vault. Very easy, very quick.
    5. There is no leakage between accounts, unless you copy or move items from personal vaults to your work vaults but this would be something you're actively doing and not something that could just 'happen'.

I hope this helps to relieve any questions, and if your employer has any questions at all, our Business Team are a very lovely bunch who can answer any questions they may have.

Cheers Scott,
    Benji.

• Hey @4EverMaAT.
    Thank you - and it only seems that way, because it is :chuffed:

Windows and Android work the same way, you can add multiple 1Password accounts to both.
    You can have multiple vaults in each account and manage them as you see fit.
    For instance, you can have a family and a team account, multiple team accounts, multiple teams and an individual account etc.

To switch between vaults, you look for the vault icon, it looks like this: (top left in all our apps), tap the vault and you've got all your vaults ready and waiting for you.

We've got specific steps for Windows and Android if you'd like to see a bit more?

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Benji,

Thanks for the in-depth reply!

One more question... I assume that the designated administrator of a Teams/Business account can remotely remove any associated vault(s) from a member's device. Assuming that's true, would any existing personal vaults on the member's device remain intact and installed?

Thanks again, Scott

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Rabbit32: Yes and no.

Yes, an admin could remove all of the vaults, by deleting your user account. I don't think that's what you have in mind, but it's important to note. They can also revoke access to specific vaults, with one important exception...

No, an admin cannot revoke your access to your account's Private vault; no one but you ever has access to that, even to change any permissions on it (they can, however, still delete your account).

It's important to note that when you're signed into the 1Password app on a device, it caches your data locally. That way you can access it offline. But that also means that any data there cannot be removed remotely if the device is offline. Pros and cons either way, but most people (including us) expect to be able to access their important data even without an internet connection, so we've designed 1Password that way as a result.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it's critical that one can always access their 1Password data on their local devices -- with or without the Internet.

I just want to insure the vaults connected to my personal 1Password subscription cannot be removed by someone else.

• Ben
    Options

@Rabbit32

You and our support team would be the only people that could in some way delete your individual membership. Our support team can only do that with interaction from you after a verification process (and even then ultimately you have to click the 'delete' button).

Ben

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent. Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.