[Bug Report] Taking screenshot un-hides passwords in the captured image

Options

When taking an application specific screen shot of 1Password, passwords that were hidden with asterisks are now visible in the captured image

This only works with application specific screen capture (ctrl + shift + PrntScr), with 1P having the active focus
This does not work with the generic PrntScr screen capture

Steps to reproduce:
0. Open 1P
1. Turn on Settings > Security > Conceal passwords
2. Open a login item (so that the password field with asterisks is visible)
3. Screen capture (ctrl + shift + PrntScr)
4. Paste the clip board into an image editing tool (Paint, in my case)
5. Read the now visible password

Expected outcome:
Step number 5 above should show asterisks in the password field, instead of the actual password

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, build 17134.407
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• @Midkiff87: I'm not able to reproduce this myself, though I'll note that Ctrl + Shift + PrintScr yields a full desktop screenshot for me, rather than just a screenshot of 1Password. To screenshot just 1Password, I must press Alt + PrintScr. If you had this shortcut (almost) right, you could definitely have accidentally revealed your password in the process as Ctrl + Alt will reveal your password until you release those keys, so Ctrl + Alt + PrintScr would most certainly capture a revealed password. Any chance that's what you did? If so, does just using Alt + PrintScr allow taking a screenshot without revealing your password?

• Midkiff87
    Midkiff87
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate, Oooooooooohhhhhhhh, that makes more sense. And yes, I did mean Ctrl + Alt + PrintScr. I'm not at my PC right now, so I can't confirm if just Alt + PrintScr works

Then it's a feature, not a bug. Jokes aside, would it be possible to detect the PrintScr key and throw a warning to the user the first time they hit that key combination?

• @Midkiff87: Don't worry about it at all. I don't know that we can show such a warning, but I must say that I'm a total twit with keyboard shortcuts and most certainly could have made the same mistake had I not Googled it when the one you noted didn't work as described. Based on said Google, I anticipate success for you, but do let me know if I'm wrong. And, of course, I'm happy to pass your feedback along to the team whether or not we can show a warning. For the moment, I'd advise against taking screenshots of active data in 1Password, regardless of any warnings available. I used test data myself for ... well, testing :wink: ... precisely because that's data that's leaving 1Password and in these cases I'd rather be safe than sorry.

• Midkiff87
    Midkiff87
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate, Now that I'm at my PC, I can confirm that Alt + PrintScr does indeed work without revealing the password.

I seem to remember that alt + PrintScr didn't work right (for something else). I think it used to capture your whole monitor (but not any others) whereas ctrl + alt + PrintScr would capture just the active window.

Either way, I would mark this feature report as closed, but I can't edit the post. Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries. Thanks for the update! Those keyboard shortcuts confuse me too. Hopefully Microsoft will make them more intuitive over time. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.