Cannot Upgrade to 1Password 7 on Mac

dclewis55
dclewis55
Community Member
edited November 2018 in Mac

Whenever I try to convert my 1Password 6 data to 1Password 7 on my Mac, the process crashes the app after record #515. I have 1688 records to be converted. I don't understand the sequence being followed in the conversion, so I can't determine which record would be next, and might be the source of the problem. Please help.

I'm on 1Password 6.8.8, and trying to go to 1Password 7.2.2, both from the Mac App Store. I'm on Mac OS 10.14.1, on an iMac. My 1Password 6 data is stored on Dropbox.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 to 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14.1
Sync Type: Dropbox to iPad and iPhone
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot Upgrade to 1Password 7 on Mac

Comments

• dclewis55
    dclewis55
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

I'm still using 1Password 6 from the Mac App Store, but the Safari extension has been upgraded to 1Password 7. Thus, I have to Safari extension that can access my 1Password 6 data.

I still have an extension in the Mac menu bar, unless I open 1Password 7. If I open 1Password 7, it overrides the menu bar extension, until I Quit the menu bar extension "completely".

1Password Version: 6.8.8 to 7.2.2
    Extension Version: 7.2.1
    Referrer: forum-search:Mac App store has Upgraded the 1Password Safari Extension to version 7, but I'm still using 1Password 6

• dclewis55
    dclewis55
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

My 1Password 6 is deleting a few tags, and replacing random folder names with names of those deleted tags. The tags being affected are those at the start of my list in alphabetical order. The folders appear chosen at random.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:1Password 6 is Deleting Tags, and replacing Folder names with names of deleted Tags

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dclewis55: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Though I'm not sure exactly what steps you're taking and what the problem might be, I do believe there's a solution.

Are you able to create a new standalone vault in 1Password 7, and then use File > Import > 1Password Keychain to add the data from your existing vault?

Alternatively, if you open 1Password 6 and view the vault there, you should be able to disable sync, go to Help > Tools > Enable OPVault, and then re-enable sync to create a new vault that 1Password 7 can read.

I suspect one of those will work, but I have another idea if not. Let me know how it goes. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dclewis55: Indeed, they're not intended to be used together, and Safari 12 uses new Safari App Extensions, so it's important that we support that in the latest version. It sounds like this is all tied in with the other issues you're having, so it should work itself out once you've migrated your data and gotten rid of the old app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dclewis55: Sorry for the confusion there. 1Password 7 supports only tags, so when you load the data in 1Password 7, it converts any folders to tags. It sounds like there's a fight going on with multiple versions trying to manage the same data in different ways.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've merged your separate discussions in one place since these all seem to be symptoms of the incomplete migration to OPVault for 1Password 7. Let's focus on that first and go from there.

• dclewis55
    dclewis55
    Community Member

Thank you for your clear, precise comments.

I tried to convert my 1Password 6 data to 1Password 7, following the instructions in your first response.

When I tried your first method, creating a new standalone vault in 1Password 7, and then using "File>Import>1Password Keychain" to add the data from my existing ".agilekeychain" file, 1Password 7 crashed at the same place as before. I sent a crash report.

When I tried your second method using 1Password 6, namely disabling sync, going to "Help>Tools>Enable OPVault", and then re-enabling sync, nothing happened when I selected "Enable OPVault". Where is the ".opvault" created? None was created in the Dropbox directory containing my existing ".agilekeychain" file.

You mentioned you had another idea. At this point, I'm open to almost anything.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When I tried your first method, creating a new standalone vault in 1Password 7, and then using "File>Import>1Password Keychain" to add the data from my existing ".agilekeychain" file, 1Password 7 crashed at the same place as before. I sent a crash report.

@dclewis55: I'm really sorry to hear that. We'll have to do it another way then. Thanks for letting me know.

When I tried your second method using 1Password 6, namely disabling sync, going to "Help>Tools>Enable OPVault", and then re-enabling sync, nothing happened when I selected "Enable OPVault". Where is the ".opvault" created? None was created in the Dropbox directory containing my existing ".agilekeychain" file.

Sorry for the confusion there. A sync copy of the vault will not be created until you setup sync. If you already have sync setup with an AgileKeychain vault, that doesn't change by selecting that menu option; we don't want 1Password messing with anyone's data. If you disable sync, you can set it up again. And with the OPVault option enabled, the new vault will be in that format. Please do that and try to open it in 1Password 7.

You mentioned you had another idea. At this point, I'm open to almost anything.

Absolutely. One way or another, we'll get there. I suspect that you might be good after the last part above, but if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#SWF-88574-836]

If you’re reading this and you are not dclewis55, this Support ID is for dclewis55 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: SWF-88574-836

This discussion has been closed.