Downgrade link from 1Password 7 to 6

Options
13»

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@friedmanh - no need to be sorry! :) What you're experiencing is a result of the fact that you've apparently installed both version 7 and version 6 of 1Password for Mac. These are local, native applications, usually residing in your /Applications folder, not items you can (un)install via the browser. When you cilck the browser extension, it calls the 1Password mini...which is part of the native 1Password app. If that app is unlicensed (as appears to be the case with your copy of version 7), you will get the Purchase Options screen and be unable to add/edit any of your data or use the browser extension.

In your first post in this thread, you mentioned that you had "...successfully downgraded from 7 to 6 on my Mac OS 10.12.6," so I took you at your word. However, if you're still getting this screen:

...then that means you've still got 1Password 7 for Mac installed somewhere on your Mac. What you'll need to do is quit all running 1Password processes -- you can verify if any are still running by checking for 1Pass in the search bar of Activity Monitor. Close any you find, and also close Safari if it's open. Then drag all copies of 1Password 7 for Mac you find on your hard drive to the trash. Restart your Mac. After restart, you should be able to launch 1Password 6 for Mac (though you may need to re-install the 4.7.3.90 extension). Let us know how you get on. :)

• ginnySL
    ginnySL
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

The links to downgrade back to 1P6 are at the beginning of this thread. June 1 by JamesHenderson. I keep coming back to this when I need to reinstall for some reason. :) Here they are again:

[removed by 1Password staff -- see below]
    1Password download page with links for everyone is here: https://1password.com/downloads/

Would love to see the UI of 6 with the security upgrades of 7. It would make our infrastructure guys happy too. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018
    Options

@ginnySL - we're obviously not in a position to control what people do with our software once they've downloaded it, but I do have to reiterate that we can't in good conscience recommend downgrading to a previous version as any kind of long-term solution to, well, pretty much any problem. There might be a very limited number of cases in which we'd suggest it, but the simple fact of the matter is that as recently as it might seem 1Password 6 for Mac was the current version, it hasn't been since May of this year, and it won't be receiving further update or development attention.

Already, since the release of 1Password 7 for Mac, Apple have released a major OS version upgrade that included such significant changes to Safari that 1Password 6 for Mac's lifespan in that OS will be quite limited now (though we have no hard-and-fast sunset date yet from Apple). And the incompatibilities are only going to increase over time, if users continue to buy new hardware and update both their version of macOS and their browser(s). That's just sort of the way it goes, and that's to say nothing of all the compatibility and security fixes that are present in most (though not all) incremental releases of the current version of 1Password for Mac. It's just almost never a good idea to keep one piece of your system (whether it be the OS, 1Password, or a browser...or anything else) frozen in time, as you keep up with updates to everything else. It's literally almost asking for problems, in fact.

I would only recommend 1Password 4 for Mac at this point, for example, for a user who said they were hardware-limited to Mountain Lion or Mavericks. And even then, I'd try to find better solutions for them. So while we can't prevent people from being the digital equivalent of salmon, swimming against the current of updates, we certainly don't recommend it.

• friedmanh
    friedmanh
    Community Member
    Options

These instructions worked. Thank you very much. However, I think it would have been helpful to have these instructions posted, as I had no idea that I had to remove all occurrences of 1P7 in order for this to work. Thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@friedmanh - I'm glad to hear you were able to get all instances of 1Password 7 for Mac removed from your Mac. :)

• friedmanh
    friedmanh
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for your support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@friedmanh: Glad Lars was able to help. We're here if you have any questions. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ginnySL: I've removed the links from your post. Not only was the 1Password for Windows link you provided for a CDN, which is subject to change, it was for a version that literally nobody owns a license for: 1Password for Windows version 6 was only available with a membership. I've replaced it with a link to our actual download page, which includes links to legacy versions of 1Password. I don't get why you and others are acting like some "secret" links are necessary, and I think it's better that people go to the download page since that has links to 1Password versions for everyone. ;)

This discussion has been closed.