Difference between desktop extension & 1 Password X extension

Hi,
I'm trying to determine which extension is better to use if I also use the desktop app. As far as I can tell, by logging into the desktop app, you're not automatically logged in to the 1 Password X extension, which is annoying. Is there a way to sync these so you are logged into both? The 1 Password X extension seems more robust overall (tighter integration with form fields), but being separate from the Desktop app, I'm not sure I love that. What do you guys who have the desktop app installed prefer?

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90, 1.12.3
OS Version: Windows 10 (latest)
Sync Type: 1 Password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @aurelius,

Tighter integration is something we would like to see happen but for now 1Password X is still very much a standalone extension. It really is up to each individual. You've noted the biggest weakness, being a standalone extension it means it doesn't lock and unlock in sync with the desktop client but there are also many people like you that prefer the inline menu. Whilst the filling logic in 1Password X is slightly ahead of that on the desktop client (easier to iterate with the extension) they are using shared code so filling differences ought to be quite minimal. All I can suggest is to use each for a while and decide which feels better for you. No matter which you decide on now, you can always easily switch so it isn't like you need to use 1Password X now, you could wait to see if we can bring tighter integration with the desktop client and then make the move :smile:

• aurelius
    aurelius
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables thanks for the helpful reply! That makes a lot of sense. I'll look forward to possible future tighter integration. For now, I think I'll stick with the 1Password X standalone extension, I really love the filling logic.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

If you have any other questions please let us know :smile:

This discussion has been closed.