FYI - Different versions of the Firefox extension on 1Password site vs Firefox add-on site on Mac

Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/?src=search and you will see that the version offered there is 1.12.3 - and was last updated Nov 12, 2018. I just downloaded the Firefox extension from 1Password and got version 4.7.3.90. The two versions really are different. The one from the Firefox add-on page barely works.

I apologize for the duplication if this is a known problem, but none of my searches turned up anything like this in this forum.

1Password Version: 7.1.2 (70102000)
Extension Version: 1.12.3, 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password account
Referrer: forum-search:"firefox extension version"

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Amerie: They're supposed to be different. This is the 1Password desktop extension:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

As you might guess from the name, it works in conjunction with the desktop app. It cannot function without it.

This is 1Password X:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

It's designed specifically to work without a native app, since not everyone can use that, and so it runs entirely within the browser.

Only 1Password X is available through Mozilla's site. The desktop extension is available directly from ours. Does that help?

• Amerie
    Amerie
    Community Member

@brenty

Yes, that's crystal clear, and I'm happy to hear that the browser extensions are not messed up. Thanks.

However, it would be handy to have the Firefox add-on page say specifically something like "Don't use this add-on if you have the desktop app, go get the one from ". I just looked at the page and it's not clear (to me, at least) that Firefox's version of the add-on is only for those without the desktop app. The page does say "With 1Password X, you can access everything you need directly in Firefox.", but I don't think it describes the situation clearly enough.

Thanks again, brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes, that's crystal clear, and I'm happy to hear that the browser extensions are not messed up. Thanks.

You're very welcome! :)

However, it would be handy to have the Firefox add-on page say specifically something like "Don't use this add-on if you have the desktop app, go get the one from ".

I don't think we're going to do that. Some people do use 1Password X even though they have 1Password for Mac or Windows too, and are quite happy with it. It just depends on what you're looking for.

I just looked at the page and it's not clear (to me, at least) that Firefox's version of the add-on is only for those without the desktop app. The page does say "With 1Password X, you can access everything you need directly in Firefox.", but I don't think it describes the situation clearly enough. Thanks again, brenty.

Indeed, I'm sorry for the confusion there. And perhaps I gave you the wrong impression earlier. 1Password X is not "only for those without the desktop app", but it is designed for that use case first. You also shouldn't have trouble accessing any data in your 1Password.com account in Firefox using 1Password X, but if you do encounter any issues please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.