Support from Japan?

leonavery
leonavery
Community Member

I happened to be staying in Japan when I first began using 1Password this summer. I found, to my dismay, that the website support.1password.com was completely inaccessible from Japan. This was a big problem at first. I couldn't find any support at all.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• leonavery
    leonavery
    Community Member

I happened to be staying in Japan when I first began using 1Password this summer. I found, to my dismay, that the website support.1password.com was completely inaccessible from Japan. This was a big problem at first. I couldn't find any support at all.

• Hi @leonavery

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble. We have a team member who is in Japan somewhat routinely and is able to access our support site while there. Did you try from more than one internet connection?

Ben

• leonavery
    leonavery
    Community Member

I tried multiple connections, but all the connections I tried were within Nagoya University. I don't know if that counts as more than one Internet connection.

• I suppose it is possible that Nagoya University is filtering connections to 1Password, either intentionally or unintentionally, but I'm not aware of any country-wide filtering in Japan.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leonavery: Ben may be right, but it's really hard for us to say.

I haven't spent time on university networks in Japan or anywhere (not in the last decade at least) though, so it may be something else is going on. Sometimes businesses, schools, etc. restrict access, or try to perform person-in-the-middle attacks on traffic being sent and received, and that can also pose a problem for 1Password.com. We use very strict security expressly to ensure that no one in the middle can eavesdrop; and we support only a very limited set of relatively recent protocols to protect against downgrade attacks (where an attacker might say "I only support SSL 1.0! Please let me connect using that!" because it's old and very broken, therefore weakening the security of the connection).

I've personally only had trouble accessing 1Password.com from Japan when I've had a really bad internet connection -- e.g. on a train, going through tunnels, or local service interruptions -- and I've heard from folks having similar issues in other countries. 1Password.com is more sensitive to that since it's a fairly substantial web app that needs to download, and multiple layers of encryption during transit also increases the bandwidth needed compared to most websites.

It would be helpful to know the specific errors you're seeing though, as that might give us insight into the specific challenge you might be facing.

• leonavery
    leonavery
    Community Member

It would be helpful to know the specific errors you're seeing though
    as that might give us insight into the specific challenge you might be facing.

Every attempt to open support.1password.com in a web browser (firefox, chrome, or IE) timed out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leonavery: Ohhh. Okay, yeah, I misunderstood. That's not right. You could poke around and try to figure out if it's a DNS or TLS failure or something else, but it isn't something we can fix. support.1password.com definitely works, in Japan and around the world. Otherwise we'd all be in trouble. :blush:

• orenballinz
    orenballinz
    Community Member

Every attempt to open support.1password.com in a web browser (firefox, chrome, or IE) timed out.

Give a try on a VPN service and connect it again. I had the same issue a while ago

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's not a bad point. I sometimes encounter some weird issues when switching between Wi-Fi networks and VPNs, and reconnecting can help. :)

This discussion has been closed.